Does anyone use an infared gun to check for line temps? I am using a clamp on "K" thermocouple right now. Just wondering if the infared thermometers are accurate enough? Have to buy a new unit pretty soon as the old dual probe unit is on the way out.
    "Go big or Go Home"

I would not recommend it. Mine is not reliable enough to set superheat. And even if it were it would be a hassle to hold it while you charge a system.
    Nothing beats as accurate clamp on digital meter. The other lead on mine shows accurate Ambient at condenser. The duel lead makes it prefect for setting hps charge too.
    Jax

Ya I am using a dual probe TPI and it has been working well, I was thinking of using the infared for doing quick spot checks of the lines when checking the charge not when charging. I will have to check it against my TPI and see if they are anywhere near the same temp reading.
    "Go big or Go Home"

I have a small Raytek infra-red, I have tried using it to take line measurements but found myself questioning the reading every time. It seemed to change its reading as you moved it back and forth on the line a few inches. I still use my pipe clamp.
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.

I been using a Fieldpiece st4 with a fluke clamp probe. Work great. Infared are to jumpy and not that accurate. They have there place but Supperheat/subcooling are not one of them.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

I checked the infared against my CPS superheat line probe the other day.Was suprised that they read the same temp! You just have to put the infared right on the pipe.
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane