Re: Define Sensible

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dan sw fl
    [B]
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    York H4DH060 SHR .75 Sens cap 45,000
    buy the 5 ton Yorkie.
    Loonie _=_ antonym for Sensible.

York with 0.75 = Very Good ...
    Are there any units which are > 0.77 SHR?

York does not have a major residential market share in FL

TRANE service life is > 15 years here
    while RHEEM is frequently < 8 years.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Baldy

How is the unit attached to the "stiletto heels" as they were called. How do they attach to the pad? Is it just gravity?

Living in sunny, perverted California I've literally never seen those stands in the field.

HUMIDITY!

Though humidity in these parts is limited to a hot shower, it's been fascinating me of late. Is a .7 to .8 swing about as wide as equipment will go?

Does the vaunted Infinity manage to go lower than .7 with its ability to crank the VS motor down?

dan sw fl

You must work for Trane. Your survey of equipment life is most intersting.

Just how were these figures determined?
    Trane > 15 yrs
    Rheem < 8 yrs

Are these numbers based on an actual survey? If so,whose?

Re: HUMIDITY!

Originally posted by Irascible
    Though humidity in these parts is limited to a hot shower, it's been fascinating me of late. Is a .7 to .8 swing about as wide as equipment will go?

Does the vaunted Infinity manage to go lower than .7 with its ability to crank the VS motor down?
    Go to a Commercial with 4 - 6 or -8 row coil
    and get < 0.5
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Sweet.

Now I just need to find where to get the engineering data for the commercial coil + residential condenser combo.

Since when is 30% dehumidification capability at 95º OD temps a bad thing? Once the latent in the home has been satisfied the sensible rate increases.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robo,
    I'm not sure who you're addressing. If you're wondering why I asked about going lower than .7 then here's the answer. I don't deal with humidity at all out here. I specify huge airflow and huge coils and people love it. But I'm getting e-mails from other people from all parts and all of a sudden feel obligated to fully get my arms around the issue. The airman's method of using undersized coils is intriguing. But I always prefer OEM authorized methods. So if there's approved coil + condenser match ups that go lower than .7 I'd like to know. I’ll have to download some literature and check on Dan’s recommendation.

Hang on, I'm missing something here.... Facts

Dan... I cannot believe you dont take any latent capacity into account in Florida. You want a sensible machine then do as irasable said and oversize the coils and provide more than nominal airflow. But for the rest of the East coast, I think its best to have a good latent capacity.

Now you started hammering on 5 ton Rheems without actually posting the data for the other brands which Bald did. Frankly I think the performance is fine if you need 38,000 btuhs of sensible however if you need 45,000 then by all means find one that does that but understand it will require that additional cpacity to drive the thermostat down low enough (around 70) for it to be comfortable when you dont remove humidity.

Now Dave, the OP lives in Boston and never mentioned size. Odds are he wont be installing a 5 ton which BTW is the weakest link in any residential lineup in performance and efficiency. Boston is indeed a perfect example of a place where latent capacity is crucial. Rarely do they spend more than a few days at design but more often run at part load. Your post seems to be a feeble attempt at railroading the issue.

The life cycle comment is merely a shot with no other intent but to blast a brand, it lacks any substance. My guess would be that you have a problem with your local distributor or lost a few jobs to a low priced outfit and have some venting to do.

BTW, for you guys in the deep south. Those are called Pump-ups (raise heat pumps) In winter, when the condensation is formed on a heat pump and after a defrost, you want to make sure the unit is completely drained of water. If ice were to form, it will crush the bottom circuits. They are required on HP's up North. Down south it's not likley that your defrost water will refreeze so they are not often used. I was commenting on the wood frame.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Hang on, I'm missing something here.... Facts

Dan... I cannot believe you dont take any latent capacity into account in Florida. You want a sensible machine then do as irasable said and oversize the coils and provide more than nominal airflow. But for the rest of the East coast, I think its best to have a good latent capacity.
    " GOOD Latent Capacity" may not be readily defined in specific, quantifiable terms and could always have several meanings.

Pardon me, WHO is NOT address Latent Loads?

My standard equipment of 26% Total for Latent Loads is >> than Adequate for modern, custom, well sealed residences.

Some ( Most custom, tract % ?) of the local builder's KNOW { blower door testing } that their new homes are [ <<< 0.2 A.C.H. ] VERY TIGHT. Therefore, Where would the Continuous H I G H Latent Load actually come from?

I DON'T DO TRACT Homes.
    Designer Dan

DocHoliday

I am acctually installing a 3Ton unit. I have not the need nor capacity for a 5 Ton unit.

Thanks for all your comments folks, although the last half of the thread seemed way off topic :-)

dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12