Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Sequel to the Hiroshima Campaign

...and the Einsteins that support nuclear power

right now, Japan has two unstable reactors that they're having a little trouble cooling at this point.
    one of the back-up generators was not working or damaged in the earthquake.

they are planning to vent radioactive gas from one of the plants that is near a city with 11 million people living there.

they say the nuclear plants can withstand a 7.0 earthquake.
    gee, isn't the average earthquake in that area more than that?

their term for tidal wave has become the dominate word, tsunami.

was it really a good idea to build nuclear power plants in Japan? , with so many attacks from earthquakes, tidal waves, and Godzilla?

I believe much water has been airlifted in to help cool the reactors. So far, the Japanese say the situation is under control. The plant was shut down as standard procedure for such large quakes. As long there is enough water to cool the remaining rods, a melt down should be avoided. I agree, very bad situation with the inoperable generators. However, the modern world requires vast amounts of electricity. Nuclear power is the best option to do so. I have and still remain a supporter of nuclear energy (with the exception of crazy muslim nations).
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

they said on the news they are having problems will all five nuclear reactors

there's been another 6.7 quake b-t-w

Nuclear power is Green power.
    20% of US power is nuclear.
    Nuclear deaths to date in USA = zero for commercial power production.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Nuclear power is Green power.
    20% of US power is nuclear.
    Nuclear deaths to date in USA = zero for commercial power production.
    True those who are against nuclear power the only true economical source of green power want to destroy our economy. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Japan's ability to use fossil fuels as a power source is very limited...they would have to import all of it. In order to build there economy they made the decision in the 70's to go nuclear. Its not been till the areas largest quake that they are having a major issue. Seems like a good record to me.

You also have to look at where the 7.0 came from. There scale is different than ours. 7.0 is the highest it goes in Japan, so on there scale yesterdays quake was a 7.0 and most of the reactors shut down automatically as designed.

Is it our place to say after one historic quake that they are not allowed to use nuclear...that they are to restrict there economic growth?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    Japan's ability to use fossil fuels as a power source is very limited...they would have to import all of it. In order to build there economy they made the decision in the 70's to go nuclear. Its not been till the areas largest quake that they are having a major issue. Seems like a good record to me.

You also have to look at where the 7.0 came from. There scale is different than ours. 7.0 is the highest it goes in Japan, so on there scale yesterdays quake was a 7.0 and most of the reactors shut down automatically as designed.

Is it our place to say after one historic quake that they are not allowed to use nuclear...that they are to restrict there economic growth?
    Exactly. Unlike knee-jerk countrys, such as Iran, the Japanese are totally capable of handing nuclear power, even in rare emergency situations. It looks bad now, but believe me, I have full confidence that they can isolate the damage and get the grid back on-line.

Mother nature rules and we at at her mercy, at times, when she proves the point on how small mankind really is.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The radioactive gas is mainly steam that is building up pressure in the reactor. Once it disperses there should be little lasting effect. Just hop they can get the power back on as the backup generators were damaged by flooding and they were being run on batteries. Soon as they get everything under control bet you they put in another layer of redundancy.

Yes there is redundancy systems built into the plants.
    When they scram a reactor they will always have a back up to the back up.

As well since its our basic design anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Yes there is redundancy systems built into the plants.
    When they scram a reactor they will always have a back up to the back up.

As well since its our basic design anyway.
    And that is what is keeping it from turning into a ball of sludge. But the batteries are not going to hold out forever. They probably did not anticipate the water knocking out the generators after an earthquake. Now they will add a layer to protect for that.

They can slow down or stop the fission process either by electrical use or by chemical use.

This is used to prevent U235 from going to critical mass.

Thank you Mr. Fermi.

You never really know, till disaster strikes. Remember commercial jet fuselage problems in the fifties and early sixties. It took how many disasters to figure out the windows must be oval shaped and not rectangular. Its the little things and because we are human, we can't possibly think of everything. All we can do is learn from our mistakes.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank goodness that Japan used our design and not Igor's Chernobyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast