Hey folks, I would appreciate some advice. I live in a very humid climate. I just had two 3 ton Trane furnaces installed along with 2 Trane cooling coils. The set up in my attic is a horizontal install. When they installed the coils, one is level with the furnace and the other one is set a little higher than the furnace. My question is this: If my primary drain that runs to my piping in my house plugs up, does that mean the water is going to back up and run all over the unit and the house instead of draining onto the secondary drain pan. It appears that a proper installation is to make sure the cooling coil is set lower than everything else to prevent this. That way if it overflows it would obviously overflow to the drain pan. Does this kind of install even pass a basic inspection? I wonder if my insurance company saw how this was installed whether they would even want to ensure my house against leaks from the units. The solution, other than a total tear down and rebuild is to use the second port on the cooling coil and have that drain open to the attic. I am not so sure this would be an acceptable fix. Help!

If you have 36,000 coil and the are slab type coils then have installer's 16x28 secondary pan under the coil with Beckett ceiling saver switch.

If they are 'A' coil type then you will need 19x24" secondary drain pan with beckett safety switch inside secondary outlet of coil.This will cut voltage to condenser if overflow drain is filling,thus no more water.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Cooling Coil Installed Wrong?

They did install the overflow pan with a cutt-off switch. I am concerned that the water will not even overflow into the pan since the bottom of the coils are not off-set lower than the furnace. Instead, I fear, the condensate will flow throughout the unit.

Beckett makes AC parts, is this the same company that is in the oil burner market?
    The obvious is obvious

The BOTTOM of the coil is HIGHER than the GAS furnace? Or the TOP of the coil is higher than the GAS furnace?

80% furnace or condensing furnace?

There is no violation as long as the model number of the coil and the model of the furnace are a factory match.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

jrc what you can do is plug the drain and fill the pan, let it overflow and see where the water goes. Make sure to do this between 1 and 4pm.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Cooling Coil Installed Wrong?

Thanks for your reply, even though the coil and the furnace are both Tranes and are matched up the installer has to fabricate the structure (ducting) that attaches the coil to the furnace blower assembly. This is a horizontal install and the installer positioned the coil where the bottom of the coil is even with the bottom of the furnace. The past systems that I have seen installed the bottom of the coil is several inches lower than the furnace so if the internal coil pan overflows the condensate will drip into the external drip pan instead of overflowing into the duct area and possibly the furnace. I like your idea of plugging up the pan and see where the condensate goes.

That is what I thought. If the bottom of the coil and bottom of the furnace are even then there is no problem.