Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked heat exchanger? Change furnace now or later?

Post Likes

Thanks

Great input from everyone.

I thikn my wife has become 'fixed' eg too stubborn to change. As I can't get back to the old dealer re the exchanger and i'm not the original owner time to change over to new technology and reap the benefits.

In Canada that means $790 from the state and $790 from the fed govt as long as you put in a 95% eff unit. As Rudd's proven mod only goes to 93-94% it dos not qualify for the full rebate. $1830 in my pocket to switch out to a new unit on an old cracked unit of 15 yrs only makes sense. I think my wife is going to come home to a new unit and I'll suck up "the heat" so to speak for a week or two.

Thanks again for all the good commentary. It helps as it's a big decision for the home owner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Put the CO detector up in the living area where it belongs. Unless the furnace is dumping (which it obviously is not) CO will be transmitted through the duct system.
    Word! Put the detecter by a supply vent. The cleanest air will probably be in front of the furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallgeoff View Post
    Great input from everyone.

I thikn my wife has become 'fixed' eg too stubborn to change. As I can't get back to the old dealer re the exchanger and i'm not the original owner time to change over to new technology and reap the benefits.

In Canada that means $790 from the state and $790 from the fed govt as long as you put in a 95% eff unit. As Rudd's proven mod only goes to 93-94% it dos not qualify for the full rebate. $1830 in my pocket to switch out to a new unit on an old cracked unit of 15 yrs only makes sense. I think my wife is going to come home to a new unit and I'll suck up "the heat" so to speak for a week or two.

Thanks again for all the good commentary. It helps as it's a big decision for the home owner.
    Good call. Also, if your going to be moving the unit anyways, why not have them move it now?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    i would at least have service check for ppm of co i have goten readings from negative rooms and had to shut off ather appliances 'and got 3ppm out supply i would never risk it tomanny people have died from co this year..co anylizer i spent lots off $$$$$ to keep people and property safe .,at least take psi test on heat exchanger ,

Post Likes
    Pay now or later either way something has to be done. Just my opinion!

Post Likes
    replace the furnace

Post Likes
    Where i live in massachusetts gas co shut off unit with cracked ht exchanger had cust sign warning notice after gas co left cust turned unit back on sent family to hospital nearly killed daughter dept of public utilities fines gas co states it our responsibilty to protect cust from themselves a lot of hvac co now will disable a heater with cracked exchanger

Post Likes
    Any cracks,hairline or not are an issue,the furn should hve been red tagged and shut off,he probably found the crack at the dimple behind the high limit,carrier has a bulletin out on those cracks,I hve condemed at least 15 of them,if its a 1996 furn you may hve a pro rate on the exchanger,but really IMO you should get a new furn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Likes
    Even if it is "just a hairline crack" it can still leak and eventually that crack will open up and let you down, maybe even on a cold winter night.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    Even if it is "just a hairline crack" it can still leak and eventually that crack will open up and let you down, maybe even on a cold winter night.
    Geesh, like these things aren't available in Ripley WVA in a minutes notice?? You almost make this whole thing sound important here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in