Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just replace the heat-x or the furnace.

I can't believe some folks will risk their lives and family's in order to save some money.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

you have paid 2 people to come out.the tech is right most old furnaces are cracked i have changed hundreds of furnaces and most of them are cracked.most of them show no signs of a crack without an analyzer.However if someone comes out to your house finds a crack tells you about it has you sign a legal document that its cracked. any tech who follows him and says otherwise is a fool.you are now responsible for your what happens next maybe its fine good luck with that.if your bathtub was cracked would you replace that funny though water wont actually kill you

More data

Well I'm getting lots of repsonses. Some of them questioning my sanity.

More info. I took my CO monitor and put it on a nextension cord beside my furnace and ran it long and hard. No response.

So I conclude the second tech was correct and that these hairline issues are not real issues.

By the way I have paid for no ooe to come out. Both were reps for co's selling me new systems. My conclusion is that the firm that said some techs wave red flags and push for a sale is exactly what the first guy did. If there was a real CO leak issue he would have flagged the furnace.

The second guy was a tech I asked for in making my furnace decision with the their firm. He came out and except for the CO meter that failed he was prepared to test and go by the results. If no CO perhpas no sale as he knows my wife wa not keen. And no cost for his time.

Guess which tech and firm I'm going with? The firm with the CO meter. The first guy who raised the red flags had no meter. Just a mirror that was hard to make anything from.

The second firm made a very thorough with lots of pics of installs and explained what to look for not only in the 'box' but how it was set up.

Put the CO detector up in the living area where it belongs. Unless the furnace is dumping (which it obviously is not) CO will be transmitted through the duct system.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

If I'm not mistaken, that unit should have a 20 heat exchanger warranty and its only 15 years old. Can you get the model and serial number from the unit? And perhaps one thr carrier/payne dealers could give more insight.

Yep hairline cracks are just like when the doc says your blood pressure is much too high. Put off treatment untill you have a stroke is the best action right? Heck your body still functions fine ( no co in the living space yet) so all is well in the world.
    When the co detector squeels in the middle of the night or the furnace belches fire it's too late. Fix the dang thing or replace it.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    I'm an apprentice 4 months into this wild n wacky trade and our company policy is to visually scan for HE failures, then hydro scan, then check with a Hi resolution HE camera (which records everything BTW) in addition to checking combustion air levels and CO levels.

Once we find a failure we disable the system, document everything, red tag it and recommend at least 2 other companies verify.
    We also require the client to sign a liability waiver, basically stating when we left the furnace that day the client understood it was not to be used due to safety issues.

We usually recommend system replacement even if the warranty is still good on the heat exchanger, simply not worth throwing all that money into an older unit.
    Considering the new parts & labor warranties included with new equipment...

Thanks

Great input from everyone.

I thikn my wife has become 'fixed' eg too stubborn to change. As I can't get back to the old dealer re the exchanger and i'm not the original owner time to change over to new technology and reap the benefits.

In Canada that means $790 from the state and $790 from the fed govt as long as you put in a 95% eff unit. As Rudd's proven mod only goes to 93-94% it dos not qualify for the full rebate. $1830 in my pocket to switch out to a new unit on an old cracked unit of 15 yrs only makes sense. I think my wife is going to come home to a new unit and I'll suck up "the heat" so to speak for a week or two.

Thanks again for all the good commentary. It helps as it's a big decision for the home owner.

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Put the CO detector up in the living area where it belongs. Unless the furnace is dumping (which it obviously is not) CO will be transmitted through the duct system.
    Word! Put the detecter by a supply vent. The cleanest air will probably be in front of the furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallgeoff View Post
    Great input from everyone.

I thikn my wife has become 'fixed' eg too stubborn to change. As I can't get back to the old dealer re the exchanger and i'm not the original owner time to change over to new technology and reap the benefits.

In Canada that means $790 from the state and $790 from the fed govt as long as you put in a 95% eff unit. As Rudd's proven mod only goes to 93-94% it dos not qualify for the full rebate. $1830 in my pocket to switch out to a new unit on an old cracked unit of 15 yrs only makes sense. I think my wife is going to come home to a new unit and I'll suck up "the heat" so to speak for a week or two.

Thanks again for all the good commentary. It helps as it's a big decision for the home owner.
    Good call. Also, if your going to be moving the unit anyways, why not have them move it now?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

i would at least have service check for ppm of co i have goten readings from negative rooms and had to shut off ather appliances 'and got 3ppm out supply i would never risk it tomanny people have died from co this year..co anylizer i spent lots off $$$$$ to keep people and property safe .,at least take psi test on heat exchanger ,

Pay now or later either way something has to be done. Just my opinion!

replace the furnace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast