I've got a Rheem RBHA-21 air handler in my home that I would like to change to variable speed. Does Rheem have a retrofit kit available or is this something that would have to be pieced together from service parts and creativity?

Go to Wall of Shame and see if you can get PaysonHVAC's attention. I recall he did something very similar with his Rheem air handler. Can't recall what post that was but try a search under his user name and I'm sure it'll pop up. He also has a website which might have an email.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

shophound......

I remember payson's post on that. It may have been what got me to thinking more about doing that to my own unit, but as I recall he said he had the motor leftover from a Carrier job and had to make the whole deal fit....involving some body and fender work.

I'd rather go with the "plug 'n play" option if it's available.

The air handler for the varible speed motor is bigger than the same size unit. You may be able to get it to work but it will be louder and use more electric, most likely.

Just replace the a/h. The whole a/h is almost cheaper than just the parts. With the new unit, which has a txv, will increase the seer of your equipment.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

agree with the cave man