Thread: Can I use TXV??

2 ton 10 seer Ruud condensor mated to Apollo hydroheat SA3024 airhandler in attic. Air handler came with .059 orifice which installer installed right before he brazed lineset to air handler.

Can a TXV be installed on a system like this?? Any benefit?

Mike,

That orifice could be the wrong size for your condensing unit. Cond. unit will come with correct orifice which is to be installed into airhandler. As far as the TXV is concerned I can't honestly say as I have never installed one on that small a tonnage. I know there are 3 ton valves for sure though, that doesn't help you though.

The TXV is a far more stable metering device but I have never seen it used on a system this size, probably because of initial cost.(I don't do much installing mike, I only get to fix the mistakes!!LOL)

-websy

[Edited by websy on 06-07-2005 at 09:12 PM]
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.

York makes a 2 ton TXV coil. Also there are several 1.5-2 ton TXV valves available if you want to retro one in.

paul

My RUUD UAKB 024JAZ condenser did not come with an orifice?? The installer looked and there was none.

The .059 orifice came with the Apollo SA3024 air handler.

Can any of the pros tell me if I have a orifice problem??

I hope a pro here will specify a TXV that will work. I think there is hope.

My Trane XL19i, a nominal 3 ton condensing unit, has two compressors. The small compressor is 1.2 ton and the large compressor is 2.8. The Trane coil has a TXV built in. So the TXV deals with both capacities.

As a homeowner, I believe the TXV allows better metering of the compressed refrigerant through the coil, boosting efficiency and possibly dehumidification. Experts??

Al (in Northern Virginia)

I just did a quick look and Grainger has a 1.5-2.5 ton TXV (p/n 6MD04) for $ 58.00.

That's one

paul

TXV valves arent unit/Brand specific?? A 2 ton txv valve can be used in any 2 ton system??

There are a few things to watch: line size matches and the valve is rated for the type of refrigerant that is in the system. If it is a heat pump, then a TXV with a built-in check valve function should be used, or an external check needs to be tubed in as well.

Generally speaking there is nothing unique to a given brand. Also avoid oversizing the TXV valve, otherwise hunting in the valve can occur.

paul

Why wouldn't a TXV, properly sized and tuned, not work?

Two ton TXV's for R22 high temp systems? Sure, such a thing exists. Sporlan makes one in the "S" series. An adjustable valve with inlet screen, externally equalized. Nice valve. Go with the VGA thermostatic bulb charge.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

My RUUD UAKB 024JAZ condenser did not come with an orifice?? The installer looked, I looked and there was none.

The .059 orifice came with the Apollo SA3024 air handler.

Can any of the pros tell me if I have a orifice problem??