Thread: Amana RCE Prestige vs. Carrier Performance w/410a

Post Likes

Cool

Hi,
    I am in the process of getting bids for a new heating and air conditioning system. So far I have gotten bids on the Amana RCE Prestige (14 seer) and the Carrier Performance (14 seer).
    I know the general advice is to not worry so much about brands but to get a good installer. However how on earth would I know if they are a good intaller. It is hard enough to get people to just show up on time or at all. Nobody in our area does a man J calc,( they look at you as though you are speaking Greek) they just go by square footage. One company seems professional, very nice computer printed bid, but the guy who gave me the bid isn't the one who is going to install it.
    So just as far as brands, which do you think is better?
    Is one quieter than the other?
    Does one of them typically have less repairs?
    I live in the desert.
    Thanks
    Want2bcool

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    I'd go with the Carrier ,but that's what we sell Every Day.

I'd get a load calc., or do my own on this site,see bullseye above.

Your existing ducts should be tested ,measuring the static,you now have ,to be sure they are right,before installing a new system.

Post your city/state here ,and maybe you'll get a reccommendation for a contractor.

Post Likes
    How to know if they're a good installer? I'm so glad you asked. There's 31 points right here, many of which are geared towards dry climates. Pick the ones that apply to you (most of them) and ask the contractor about them. You could save a lot of time by asking these questions over the phone and only having them out if they pass the test. It's no guarantee of course. But it's a start.

You'll alienate one heck of a lot of contractors. But that's because most of them are purveyors of mediocrity. And if none pass the test? I guess you pick the least crappy of the bunch.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by Irascible
    How to know if they're a good installer? I'm so glad you asked. There's 31 points right here, many of which are geared towards dry climates. Pick the ones that apply to you (most of them) and ask the contractor about them. You could save a lot of time by asking these questions over the phone and only having them out if they pass the test. It's no guarantee of course. But it's a start.

You'll alienate one heck of a lot of contractors. But that's because most of them are purveyors of mediocrity. And if none pass the test? I guess you pick the least crappy of the bunch.

I find number 4 in the detailed area,very interesting.

Post Likes
    Now that was a loaded comment. Care to expound?

edit: Ahhh... I see now. Daring to show a Carrier builder model next to a Trane builder model. I can see how that would be troubling.

[Edited by Irascible on 06-08-2005 at 10:47 AM]

Post Likes
    Irascible

Is this your company? CC county? vacaville, fairfeild area?

ever heard of beutler?

Post Likes
    Beutler? Dem's fightin' wurds!

Yeah. I've heard of them. Seen their trucks. Dealt with their stuff. Lousy friggin proprietary.... lol.

Ahem. Why do you ask?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in