Since I came home my AC has cycled 3 times in the last 1 1/2 hrs. 35 minutes, 23 minutes and just now 19 minutes. It has gone from partly sunny to very cloudy and the temp outside is dropping. As the run times have decreased the off times have increased from 6 minutes to 9 minutes.

Inside temp is 72 and 39RH

During the last run I noticed a drip every so often from the condensate drain. I put a 1 cup measuring cup under the drain. When the unit shutdown I went outside and the cup was full and overflowing.

Why is the water staying on the coil until the unit shutsdown??

I think I'll try a 2 cup measuring cup for the next run.

Normal????

Mike,

Did they install a condensate trap in the piping???
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.

Yes sir. Just after the condensate line exits the air handler there is a wavy shaped trap, then a vent and then it goes down thru the wall, under the house and out thru the foundation.

I was just wondering why the majority of the condensate drained after the airhandler shutdown?

Is that normal?

Inside RH now is 38

Just checked and after I dumped the 1 cup measuring cup and repaced it with an 8 cup..........I have 1 pint of water after the last run.

Whats up with my drain pan??

Normal for water to stay on coil till the end of the run time??

I kind of had the same problem

and the people that do this for a living pointed me to this website:

http://www.trane.com/commercial/issues/iaq/iaq5.asp

Mine was leaking from an improperly glued fitting and the HVAC guy who (just) installed it promised me he would come out and never did. It was ruining my ceiling since the fitting was outside of the pan and too darn hot to have to keep waiting or calling for such a simple repair.

So I reviewed the website went to the hardware store and did it myself PVC fittings. The experts also advised me to be sure the drain was not plugged up.The thread is still around I would think.

You're the guy with the hydroheat system, right?

If you're getting a huge rush of water after the air handler shuts off (and you're getting water leaking everywhere), I'd look to see if the p trap on the condensate drain has a vent upstream of the trap. If it does, this is the wrong spot if this air handler has a coil on the negative side of the blower. It's the wrong spot no matter what. Vent should always be downstream of trap.

Could also be blower speed is a bit high and when unit shuts off, water that couldn't drain off coil due to air velocity can now do so. If this unit isn't improperly trapped, is performing normally, and isn't leaking, then you probably do not have a problem.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by mikeinva
    Just after the condensate line exits the air handler there is a wavy shaped trap,
    There's the likely culprit. A 'wavy' trap is rarely sufficient for an air handler. The return side of the blower has way too much negative pressure for the water height to overcome the air pressure. Your system will suck air into the drain while it's running. Then, during the off cycle, the water will drain...

Just as you have described.

Your trap should look like figure 3 in the link that Seth posted.

My airhandler manual says I need a minimum 1 1/2 inch trap. What does this mean??

My coil pan has 2ea 3/4 inch drain nipples. Both nippples have 3/4 PVC adapters. The drain on the far right has a 90 and a short straight run left to the other nipple that has a T installed.

How far to the left of my T'd together drains should my trap be?

Would a standard 3/4 pvc trap be what I need?? My manula says I need a minimum 1 1/2" trap.

[Edited by mikeinva on 06-07-2005 at 09:16 PM]

1.5" is H of figure 3. 3/4" is the diameter of the PVC.

Not to doubt you but is 1.5 H or J in fig 3???

Originally posted by jrbenny
    1.5" is H of figure 3. 3/4" is the diameter of the PVC.

Thank you sir