I posted this on the general discussion board earlier, but I think it may be the wrong place - sorry if you have already seen this.

So folks, I am new here and don't know a whole lot about HVAC systems. I am trying to learn though, b/c I am going to work for a small manufacturer and I have been asked to analyze a certain issue around the HVAC systems. We currently have a HVAC technician/utilities maintenance guy in charge of making sure everything works and keeps working. He has been with the company for ages, but is retiring in a few months. My new boss wants me to figure out if we need to hire another guy like him, or if we should we outsource the services instead. As it turns out, we also need to upgrade our systems - HVAC, boilers, compressors, etc. A lot of companies have come to us and said they could sell us the new equipment and handle the maintenance - they say it would save us money, make our systems more efficient, etc. I am not sure what to think. I guess it would be nice to only deal with one vendor, but I am not sure about not having someone on-site to troubleshoot. Could anyone help me with the pros and cons of such an arrangement? Any advice is much appreciated. As my name implies, I am clueless!
    Thanks!!!

That HVAC technician/utilities maintenance guy was/is probably worth his wieght in gold for your small manufacturing company. I'll be willing to bet that he did everything for the company to keep not only the HVAC running but also the production machinery, all kinds of process piping, plumbing, electrical not to mention grounds work, trash, etc etc.

You see he has been there so long he probabaly knows the ins and outs of everything, where every emergency water shutoff, gas shutoff, sprinkler valves are and so on and on.

You may need all new HVAC equiptment now that he is leaving because he has kept everything running (likely on a small budget) with bubble gum and bailing wire.

You can get an HVAC company but you cannot replace a long time maintenance man. Don't stay "Clueless" too long.
    My 02

[Edited by powerhead on 06-07-2005 at 07:10 PM]

I agree with powerhead. You need to take stock of all the issues that the current employee is addressing and figure out how much all of the other issues that a mechanical contractor won't be taking care of are worth. Hiring one contractor to install, maintain and service your HVAC systems can be a wonderful thing if you hire a quality company.(Yes, I am horribly biased) New equipment that is well maintained causes few problems and will save you money on energy. I can tell you from past experience, no matter what route you take, you will miss having him around for his knowledge of the facility.

Exclamation Outsource

Originally posted by cluelessdude
    We currently have a HVAC technician/utilities maintenance guy in charge of making sure everything works and keeps working. He has been with the company for ages, but is retiring in a few months.

My new boss wants me to figure out if we need to hire another guy like him, or if we should we outsource the services instead.
    Outsource! Ask "your retiree" where he will be working next... Then hire 'him' ( his New company) back as a Contractor.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities