Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

Trying to get a general consensus on Goodman Heating and Cooling products. Great Warranty, now what about the product? I know, I know- Only as good as how it was installed.

Looking for thumbs up or down

Thanks
    g-smitty

You answered your own question.

Good install= thumbs up!
    Bad install= thumbs down!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

The air in your house will never know the difference....just get the most effecient unit that your geographic region calls for, to get the return on your investment..I would rather have a "used 15 year old unit" installed properly than the "best unit", which ever one that is, hacked in.....by the way nothing wrong with Goodman, its not my main line of equip, but I do install them at times, by request or matching an existing system..

Thumbs down

I'm not a dealer or a pro, but I can repeat what Goodman Mfg. told me over the phone about their "great" warranty.

First and foremost, the warranty explicitly states that the warranty is null and void if you bought the equipment on the internet. There is a lot of talk that if you bought it over the phone, it might be honored (Goodman told me it would not be honored under that circumstance), but I did a little prosecutorial questioning, and here is how they told me it really works on a day to day basis:

To exercise the warranty, the homeowner needs to contact any HVAC contractor, it doesn't have to be a Goodman dealer. That contractor will return the covered part to the local distributor for replacement. So far, so good.

The distributor will then lookup the part number on the Goodman computer system, and will see whether they distributed the part or if somebody else did.

If they did, no problem. Good as Gold!

If they did not, then the distributor has a choice:

1) Honor the warranty, which they may very well do in some cases, probably depending on how good a customer your contractor is.

2) Send the consumer to "wherever they bought it from", even if that distributor is across the street, or across the country...especially if it was bought across the country.

It is the distributor's choice about what to do.

Today, according to Goodman, the most likely answer you'll get from a distributor is answer #2.

"Gee, what about if the distributor goes out of business, or decides to no longer distribute your product?"

"Same rules apply. It's up to the new distributor."

So, I guess you have to ask yourself if that's really a good warranty or not... Is it really as bad as the last answer I got? Probably not, but if this is what you hear BEFORE you buy a Goodman, imagine what you may hear when you do have a problem, 6 years later.

One thing you will never get is a concensus on Goodman equipment, some love them, some hate them, the quality of their equipment has greatly improved over the past few years, prior to that they were mediocre at best, as were many installations of Goodman equipment, these factors earned them the reputation they have, we install them regularly and have very little problems with them, no warranty problems either.

That is all very true about Goodman's warranty policy. Other brands are not so easy.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

And why are you looking for a thumbs up or down on just Goodman Mr. Smitty?

I get the distinct impression from this and your other posts that you're a DIY'er trying to play us.

They sux!!!!!!!!!!!If your into call backs Install them.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Thanks for your replies! no DIY'er here. Added a dormer and this was a unit proposed by one of the contractors

G

Glad to hear it. I didn't actually see the words "hiring a contractor" in any of your other posts. And then the cpa went into his tangent about interent warranties when no one mentioned buying off the net. So I had to wonder. There's nothing wrong with DIY'ers. But forum rules don't allow them to be assisted in bypassing the contractor.

Pay no mind to the fitter. He's having a fit.

Goodman is fine... now. You hit it on the head with the "I know, I know." part.

sounds like I will be going with Good- Man!

g

Just curious,

Is a Homeowner purchasing equipment on the net and getting an HVAC guy to install it a DIY'er?

I would think not.

No, not a DIY'er. Just a short sighted cheapskate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast