Hybrid View

Confused

I had the following unit installed in my 1000sq ft brick home
    Carrier 38TRA024 (2ton / 12 seer)
    Carrier Carrier 58STA070 (gas burning furnace)

This will be short... The system is in a 1000 sq ft home in Virginia. We had a 85-90 degree day today. The system was set to 72 around 9am.... here is the problem.. the system ran a total of 6 consecutive hours!!! and couldn`t get the house to 72 degrees. The air coming out of the vent was slightly cool, but when I went to a neighbor`s home and felt the air coming through thier vents it was definatly cooler.

Earlier this month I ran the unit on a low 80s day and the system still took hours to get the temp to 72

Could they of not put enough refridgerant in the system? Don`t these systems come pre-charged with refridgerant? Do tech need to add to what is there? Have I damaged the compressor allowing it to run 6 hours continuously?? ... all I know is that this ain`t right and I will be calling the guy who performed the install tomorrow AM.

Your thoughts please..

thanks Ethan

[Edited by eisenberg on 06-06-2005 at 11:00 PM]

ethan,

you have many questions. that is good. i will try to answer as many as i can:

Could they of not put enough refridgerant in the system?

there is the possibility of what is called an undercharge. this is a lack of freon in the system. i cannot tell you unless i have my tools and myself at the scene.

Don`t these systems come pre-charged with refridgerant?

yes, most systems come pre charged, to a point. the factory assumes that a certain amount of freon will be needed. this might be 5 ounces or 20 pounds. it just depends on a lot of factors. its also easier to explain in person

Do tech need to add to what is there?

as to the above question, sometimes and sometimes not, it just depends

Have I damaged the compressor allowing it to run 6 hours continuously??

absolutley not. your compressor is just fine if the charge is close to correct. in a heat pump in winter, some compressors will run 24 / 7. your service tech can help you better with these ???'s!

make sure returns are free from obstructions and your filter is clean make sure outside unit is clean

blower question

I had the installer come out and check the freon level which was fine

..the guy that installed the system (specs above) installed it with a 3.5-ton grade blower since my registers are in the 10 foot ceilings in hopes of being able to push the air to the floor better. Currently when cooling the blower is set to its highest speed default speed I think). I am thinking that if I were to slow he blower down which you can by making a jumper setting, the air would flow through the cooling coils a a slightly slower speed which will cause the air to be cooler when it exits the registers.I am thinking that the air is passing through the coils at such a high rate of speed that it is just not getting as cold as it should.

Has anyone ever had a situation where the air was simply flowing through the hot/cold peice that it simply didn`t get hot or cold enough due to the throughput speed?

...your thoughts please

thanks ethan

[Edited by eisenberg on 06-19-2005 at 06:05 PM]

your system is designed for roughly a 95 deg. outside temp.

at 95 deg. it should run constantly.

you didn't state where in va. you are so i'm guessing on the 95 deg. factor.

more than likely it is operating properly, but if you have concerns, lowering the blower speed may help.

i wouldn't put a 3.5 ton blower on a 2 ton system no matter what the cieling height is.

sounds like an experiment to me.

blower

I am in Richmond, Va. . The current tempature is 80 and the system has been running for wel over an hour.

Does my air flow theory make sense? After having the guy that installed the system check the refridge level it was the only thing I could come up with.

Have you ever seen/ heard of a situation where the air flow is so great he the air does not get cooled/heated when passing through the air handler?

,Ethan

Re: blower

Originally posted by eisenberg

I am in Richmond, Va. . The current tempature is 80 and the system has been running for wel over an hour.

Does my air flow theory make sense? After having the guy that installed the system check the refridge level it was the only thing I could come up with.

Have you ever seen/ heard of a situation where the air flow is so great he the air does not get cooled/heated when passing through the air handler?

,Ethan
    absolutely

blower speed

...maybe I am on to something here.

Besides changing the jumper settings to slow the blower motor what other things can I do to slow the flow of air?

...would shuting each of the registers slightly assist in slowing the air through the air handler?

If my theory proves correct should I have the guy replace the 3.5 blower/gas furnace with the correct 2.0 rated blower gas furnace? Should I complain to Carrier?

He told me that he installed the 3.5 rates blower/gas furnace after the install was complete.

does it by any chance sound like a 747 taking off when it comes on?

i doubt your ductwork is even large enough to handle the added cfms.

approximately 400 cfm/ton. you are pushing (or trying to) 1400 cfm through an 800 cfm system.

i see only problems.

blower speed

I will assume that you are referring to the sound when are flows through the registers. To be honest the only register that is loud is the register which is first in line off of the air handler.

why not have the instalation company came back and set the system up the correct way.