Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by simpleman
    [i]Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Always have a third party verify the installation. Never hire the same company that installed it for warranty work.

Does that apply to your company as well Steve?

Is this the same as we should practice what we preach?
    I said always didn't I?

Won't matter anyway because no homeowner will ever do it. They're too tight.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

cleared mortar from around line....compressor still a lot louder than initial install a week ago!

My concern is that when installed vacuum was pulled for abour 30 minutes by pump with no gauge and no additional R22 was installed.

If not clean enough and running non-condensables could that explain compressor noise?

Low charge make compressor loud??

Hmm Noisy scroll

Just a few questions-

Was the indoor coil changed with the outdoor unit?
    How long is the lineset?
    Is it possible the linset is touching somewhere else?
    Is the vibration constant or intermittant?

The scroll will run very hot at the top of the housing. Hot enough to cause a burn.

Thanks...

Originally posted by mikeinva
    The lineset (biggest line) is resting on mortar where it enters the brick foundation and then goes up thru the wall?? This could induce noise??
    Line could also be touching a stud in the stud cavity of the wall. No competent installer would allow a refrigerant line to touch mortar, the vibration against something hard like that will eventually wear a hole thru the line. I'm sure the system is covered under warranty should something go wrong with it You probably should call the installer and have them come out and check things out for you. Or maybe even find another company to check it out. One that comes highly recommended by friends and family. We are not there to hear it so what might be loud to you may sound normal to us. Compressors do sound a little different after they break in a little. Steve Wiggins is correct, you should have a third party verify the install and use a different company than the installer for warranty work. I wouldn't compare the noise from a new system to that of an old system, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

New Ruud 2 Ton 10 seer condenser with new Apollo SA3024 air handler in attic. The lineset is about 20feet or so. All new silver R6 flex duct and 1 1/2 ductboard plenums in attic.

System was vacuumed for about 30 minutes without gauge and no additional R22 was added.

Compressor Ran really quiet for first few days but now it noisy enough to keep me awake!

I have removed the soft mortar from around the lineset where it passes thru the brick foundation.

Have Ruud tech coming this evening ot tomorrow.

What should I make sure he does??

Im thinking evac the system, vacuum to 500 microns, new dryer/filter and recharge?? What about compressor mineral oil??

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Scrolls do get hot on the top but you should still be able to hold your hand on it without getting burned.

Always have a third party verify the installation. Never hire the same company that installed it for warranty work.

Thats pretty close to the stupidest thing I have ever heard..... a lot of brands that have extended warrantys require you to use the installing company unless you contact the manufacture and have them change it to another company. Now on those do you think it would be best to do that, get the warranty changed over to someone you never hired to do the job in the beginning? I will wait for the answer being if you do say yes .....it will be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

[Edited by dec on 06-07-2005 at 04:50 PM]

Originally posted by mikeinva
    New Ruud 2 Ton 10 seer condenser with new Apollo SA3024 air handler in attic. The lineset is about 20feet or so. All new silver R6 flex duct and 1 1/2 ductboard plenums in attic.

System was vacuumed for about 30 minutes without gauge and no additional R22 was added.

Compressor Ran really quiet for first few days but now it noisy enough to keep me awake!

I have removed the soft mortar from around the lineset where it passes thru the brick foundation.

Have Ruud tech coming this evening ot tomorrow.

What should I make sure he does??

Im thinking evac the system, vacuum to 500 microns, new dryer/filter and recharge?? What about compressor mineral oil??

Mike,

Most precharged condensing units these days carry enough charge for 20 feet of line, give or take. My guess is that the system charge is prob. okay although its hard to say. Was there a filter/drier installed already? Is this the original lineset or was this lineset installed with new equipment?

Maybe have him make sure there are no oil traps/kinks in the piping. If the compressor was quiet for a few days then got noisy there is the possibility you have a faulty compressor although I wouldn't rule out oil return problems. Is this a TXV or orifice system?

Last but not least I can't help but wonder why you replaced the old stuff. Was it still operational and you just wanted an upgraded system or did something kill the old condensing unit?

-websy

P.S. When you say "without gauge" do you mean he was just using his manifold gauges or you mean he never had a gauge on the system at all??!!!!
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.

The old system was also Ruud and Apollo but was 18 years old!

Installer Pulled vacuum with pump for 30 minutes. No micron gauge. Said held vacuum. Added no R22.

I measured lineset and is approximately 26feet from condenser to air handler.

Orifice system.

The Scroll is LOUDER than when installed and I can hear it thru the bathroom wall! Sort of a combination knock/humm noise.

Some water on pad under new condenser?? Never noticed that before? Line from Compressor to evaporator sweats inside the condenser housing.

[Edited by mikeinva on 06-07-2005 at 06:34 PM]

Originally posted by dec
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Scrolls do get hot on the top but you should still be able to hold your hand on it without getting burned.

a lot of brands that have extended warrantys require you to use the installing company

[Edited by dec on 06-07-2005 at 04:50 PM]

This is not true. I think you must have just made it up.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

top of a scroll will be hot and you will get burnt if you can hold your hand on it. the sweating is normal. the suction line will sweat and it is not nessary to insulate it. the noise may be from the line set going up the wall
    or some thine in the unit is makeing it. let the tech look it over tell him all your conserns and let him do his job.
    sounds like it is working fine and something is vibrating causeing the noise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12