We are selling our house and the home inspector could not get the boiler to run. Looking at the tank, it appears we are comepletely out of heating oil. We already terminated our oil contract, so the fuel companies we called want $75 to come out and service it. On top of that, they'll won't sell us less than 150 gallons, and it'd be an increased rate to boot. Since that would basically be wasting money, I'd really like to try another tack. (I also don't want to try to pass the cost on to the seller. They've already been accommodating.)

I heard somewhere that plain ol' gas station diesel will do the trick, but I do NOT want to screw anything up. Any other alternatives? Some place I'm not thinking of that would sell me a small supply?

I'm in Baltimore, Maryland, if that helps.

No 2 diesel is basically the same stuff, except for the dye and the price. The over the road diesel is now being produced with a lower sulfur content, again not an issue for an oil burner.

You should be able to put 10 or so gallons in and get the furnace running.

paul

If it has run out of oil will I then need to prime the boiler or will it just work?

If its a one pipe system, it will need the be bled.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Diesel fuel is no problem at all. Did you try the company you used to deal with? They may come out in hopes you will give their name to the new owner.

Leo

Usally the cost of the oil in the tank is paid for by the buyer at the closing, just fill the tank !
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Freezeking2000 is correct in that the oil in your tank is credited to you at closing. I've been through a couple of home sales/purchases with oil heat and that's how it's done.

You shouldn't have let it go dry, though. Now you really must get the tank topped off and the system serviced......particularly the filter. When the tank goes empty and is filled, the sediment and sludge at the bottom of the tank gets all stirred up and tends to plug the filter.