When I had my new Apollo SA 3024 airhandler installed in the attic I also replaced my plastic hot water supply lines that ran under the house with 3/4 insulated refrigeration copper lines that run thru the garage ceiling and into the attic to the air handler.

Was this a smart thing to do??

Now that the lines are above the hot water heater should I close the ball valves at the hot water heater to prevent hot water movement thru the coil during AC operation?

Do I need to worry about water stagnating if I close the valves?

Where are the Hydroheat Pro's??

Nobody????

Yes, it is a good thing to do, copper is better, and yes, you should use ball valves to keep hot water from migrating.

stagnating water is not a problem

If I close the ball valves to prevent hot water from migrating to the heating coil during Cooling season will condensation form on the heating coil as it cools and then fall under which there is no drain pan?? If so wouldnt that lead to a rusting out of the air handler bottom??

Originally posted by mikeinva
    If I close the ball valves to prevent hot water from migrating to the heating coil during Cooling season will condensation form on the heating coil as it cools and then fall under which there is no drain pan?? If so wouldnt that lead to a rusting out of the air handler bottom??
    Not unless heating coil somehow drops below dew point of conditioned air leaving the evap coil. Ain't going to happen as long as water inside coil remains at same temp or slightly above air passing over coil.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.