Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't think there is any such thing as a 100% solution. Kind of like reaching absolute zero.

Let us know the results of your audit?

Equipment sounds grossly oversized. This leads to short cycling, which means far areas never receive conditioning. Does your ac ever run continuously?

A mini split works great in small spaces, if duct constraints make one unit impractical.

Hopefully this free audit will give you an analysis and recommendations regarding the improvements you hope to make. Please share.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    I don't think there is any such thing as a 100% solution. Kind of like reaching absolute zero.

Let us know the results of your audit?

Equipment sounds grossly oversized. This leads to short cycling, which means far areas never receive conditioning. Does your ac ever run continuously?

A mini split works great in small spaces, if duct constraints make one unit impractical.

Hopefully this free audit will give you an analysis and recommendations regarding the improvements you hope to make. Please share.
    Have a guy from GA Power coming out at noon today for audit so I will let you know. Thanks.

the best thing about doing a manual j calc is from that point every dollar spent to fix the problem is moving in the right direction no guessing you may find out a good result is not achievable do to limits on duct size then there are always other options

You could use your old 3 ton in the 600 sq ft room. It would certainly cool the room but it wouldn't dehumidify it very well. Also, because it's so oversized, you would have air basting from the vents. Finally, it wouldn't be very a efficient solution. This biggest downside to your proposal, though, is that it wouldn't be cheap - the labor (half the cost of a new install, at least) would be more than you would want to spend to have a half-baked solution to your problem. I'd go with the new HP downstairs and window units until you can afford a 1.5 ton split system or a minisplit.

Quote Originally Posted by JBonham27 View Post
    I also don't plan to live in this house for more than a couple years and do not think I'd get back what I'd put into adding a separate unit.
    Imagine walking into a house in July with a realator and finding the upstairs bedroom is 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Would you buy it?

Yes, I know it is not ideal to tap into downstairs but to buy a separate unit for one room upstairs just is not settling well with me. I also don't plan to live in this house for more than a couple years and do not think I'd get back what I'd put into adding a separate unit. I have brought up the minisplit and they all have said its possible but don't see a a great place to mount it. The upstairs bedroom has 6 windows - basically covering all of the exterior wall space.

How do I go about setting up an energy audit and what would I do with the results?
    Thanks.
    You have a couple choices Follow the advice of the 5 contractors that have seen the job or add supplemental air , as suggested a mini split or since it has so many windows add a window unit or a PTAC ( motel type unit )

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    You could use your old 3 ton in the 600 sq ft room. It would certainly cool the room but it wouldn't dehumidify it very well. Also, because it's so oversized, you would have air basting from the vents. Finally, it wouldn't be very a efficient solution. This biggest downside to your proposal, though, is that it wouldn't be cheap - the labor (half the cost of a new install, at least) would be more than you would want to spend to have a half-baked solution to your problem. I'd go with the new HP downstairs and window units until you can afford a 1.5 ton split system or a minisplit.
    Well put. Only thing I'd add; expect mold, on the supply grilles at the very least. Next on books/paper, and possibly on walls.

In humid environments it is very important that moisture be removed as air is cooled. Cool it too fast and moisture removal can't keep up.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Have current system replaced with a heat pump. Have contractor dispose of current system. Go to Wal Mart and buy a 4,000 or 5,000 BTU window A/C for that room above the car port. Money well spent, and money saved.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

call a pro

15 tons 460 squares

Before you think I'm crazy, listen to my scenario. a terrible idea?

I just bid a job that is going to be 15 tons on 460 sq. ft. There is already 5 tons on it, I'm going to add 10 for redundancy.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

As others have said...

Install two units.

Based on your description you have two separate buildings that are connected. The duct work that was added for the addition is clearly not working, fixing it will likely be more expensive than installing a separate mini-split on the addition.

So...

Install a properly sized heat pump in the original part of the home, sealing off the crippled duct work going to the new addition as part of the install. Then install a properly sized mini-split heat pump on the newer addition and call it done.

Best Regards,
    Mac

Unfortunatly sounds like the addition was done wrong to begin with. Heat gain and ducting problems. Energy audit will help determine heat gain problems. Has this problem always existed? 3 tons is way too big don't do it. If reducting isn't possible than seperate cooling source is nessasary ie window unit,ptac or mini split. Zoning won't help unless duct is corrected. Also if seperate unit is used than main unit size will need to be reduced less the 600sqft. Surely 5 techs can't all lack the ability to give good counsel. If the consensus is the same go with it.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-24-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast