Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

air flow

When you have a new unit installed downstairs any competent installer will adjust the duct size to your needs. How big is your return? Where is your return located ?

Quote Originally Posted by jodybhvac View Post
    When you have a new unit installed downstairs any competent installer will adjust the duct size to your needs. How big is your return? Where is your return located ?
    The upstairs return is located near the floor and i want to say is an 8 inch duct. Not sure if thats what you were asking for. I've mentioned having the return in the ceiling and everyone says that won't matter.

Air flow

The return size may be a large part of your problem. I would have at least a 10in. return with a 20 x 20 grill. Are your supply vents near the exterior walls, preferably windows? If not that is the best place for your vents.If this is all re-done correctly , you may not even need a little window unit.

Quote Originally Posted by jodybhvac View Post
    The return size may be a large part of your problem. I would have at least a 10in. return with a 20 x 20 grill. Are your supply vents near the exterior walls, preferably windows? If not that is the best place for your vents.If this is all re-done correctly , you may not even need a little window unit.
    I'll have to check the grill when i get home but i want to say its 14x20 and i'll double check the duct size as well. Yes, I have concave ceiling (not sure if thats what its called) so the vents are close to the walls and there's only 2 of them in the bedroom itself located above the bed. The other 2 supply vents are in the bathroom and closet.

Just some clarifying here.

You had only a 1st floor of 1200sq ft. with a 3 ton unit. ?
    You added an upstairs area above your carport. And thats your only upstairs area?

Is that your (now) bedroom you were refering too? with all the dam windows in it? lol

How was it ducted if you have an attic? Im trying to picture this.

Is the room basically next to attic, next to unit? how were the ducts put in ceiling? And you only have 8" return? Thats probably why you dont feel air flow through the vents.

If theres a door, is it hard to open after its closed? depending on your supply size, probably positive pressure issues.

Or aMi CONFUSED and theres no ductwork to it at all?
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Just some clarifying here.

You had only a 1st floor of 1200sq ft. with a 3 ton unit. ?
    You added an upstairs area above your carport. And thats your only upstairs area?

Is that your (now) bedroom you were refering too? with all the dam windows in it? lol

How was it ducted if you have an attic? Im trying to picture this.

Is the room basically next to attic, next to unit? how were the ducts put in ceiling? And you only have 8" return? Thats probably why you dont feel air flow through the vents.

If theres a door, is it hard to open after its closed? depending on your supply size, probably positive pressure issues.

Or aMi CONFUSED and theres no ductwork to it at all?
    I bought the house last summer. The addition was done in 1998. Looks like the outdoor unit was replaced in 2005 (no heat pump - no clue why unless it was previously gas heat).

Yes - downstairs is 1200 sq ft with its own attic.
    The addition is above the carpart and is my master bedroom with all the 'dam' windows and is the only upstairs area (not directly above the main part of house).

The duct work to get to the addition is interesting and probably hard for me to explain. The floor of the addition is next to the attic above the main level. The duct passes from the main attic to the addition attic through the back side of the house and above the stairwell that leads up to the addition. The rest of the addition attic is well above the downstairs attic. That may not make sense but the addition attic goes down above the stairs and that is the only place that the attics meet.

I believe the return duct is an 8 but i will have to double check when i get home. The door is not hard to open or shut. It is a very interesting setup and is my first home. I'm surprised the inspector didn't notice anything unusual. Won't be using him again.

And yes it is all being run off one 3 ton unit downstairs and on the opposite side of the house as the addition. And to be clear, the addition is the only part of the house that is upstairs. I cant tell how old the air handler is because the cover has rusted off. Looks very old but the outdoor unit is from 2005. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by JBonham27 View Post
    And yes it is all being run off one 3 ton unit downstairs and on the opposite side of the house as the addition. And to be clear, the addition is the only part of the house that is upstairs. I cant tell how old the air handler is because the cover has rusted off. Looks very old but the outdoor unit is from 2005. Very strange.
    So what you're saying is you have 1800 sq. ft. of living space with a 3 ton A/C? I guess it depends on the particulars, but seems a little oversized to me. I would suggest having a load calc done before purchasing any new equipment. I would also look into a heat pump as well, your climate is well suited for a heat pump.

Inspectors don't know anything about duct, all they are hired to do is make sure its hooked up.

Without seeing your house nobody here can have a clue about your needs. You need to find a local contractor that knows what they are doing to do an onsite analysis.

If I came out to your house I would give you a quote to 100% solve your problems and it would not be cheap. Chances are from your post I would probably walk away. the reason is 100% solutions cost 100%. When you start talking about "if we just did this...." then 99 times out of a 100 "I thought it would work better than this?"....and its another "warranty call" to tell you that you should have took the big number. There are plenty of cheap contractors out there to give you partial solutions-look on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Inspectors don't know anything about duct, all they are hired to do is make sure its hooked up.

Without seeing your house nobody here can have a clue about your needs. You need to find a local contractor that knows what they are doing to do an onsite analysis.

If I came out to your house I would give you a quote to 100% solve your problems and it would not be cheap. Chances are from your post I would probably walk away. the reason is 100% solutions cost 100%. When you start talking about "if we just did this...." then 99 times out of a 100 "I thought it would work better than this?"....and its another "warranty call" to tell you that you should have took the big number. There are plenty of cheap contractors out there to give you partial solutions-look on craigslist.
    I simply posted a question - check the subject line. People started asking other things so i tried to fill them in. I've had more than 5 contractors come out and everyone of them has said something different so I have no clue who to believe or use. And ive heard quotes that are up to 8 grand different so I decided to go to the internet. Are you suggesting I go to the one that is 8 grand more because the cost is 100%. Give me a break. This is an HVAC forum so it seemed like as good a place as any to get some information.

And isn't that a contactor's job? To offer solutions. Or is there only one in every situation?

Quote Originally Posted by JBonham27 View Post
    I simply posted a question - check the subject line. People started asking other things so i tried to fill them in. I've had more than 5 contractors come out and everyone of them has said something different so I have no clue who to believe or use. And ive heard quotes that are up to 8 grand different so I decided to go to the internet. Are you suggesting I go to the one that is 8 grand more because the cost is 100%. Give me a break. This is an HVAC forum so it seemed like as good a place as any to get some information.

And isn't that a contactor's job? To offer solutions. Or is there only one in every situation?
    Yes....but in a previous post you can't even describe the ductwork to the room.. You need a manual J calc to determine how much cfms are needed to be supplied to the room; Will 3 tons cool a tiny room?-YES Will it do it with comfort?-NO Will it do it efficiently?-NO of the contractors ho came out-who actually did a manual J? or would do one and prove their design?

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Yes....but in a previous post you can't even describe the ductwork to the room.. You need a manual J calc to determine how much cfms are needed to be supplied to the room; Will 3 tons cool a tiny room?-YES Will it do it with comfort?-NO Will it do it efficiently?-NO of the contractors ho came out-who actually did a manual J? or would do one and prove their design?
    Thanks for answering my question. No one did a manual J calculation. Guess I'll call a couple more.

When it comes down to it there really is only one 100% solution. There are practices and methods for sizing ducts and equipment that are very specific. A contractor should be able to come into your home, take all the measurments, and tell you what the "right" way is to condition the house. That solution will be 100% and you will pay 100%. Any other solution is going to leave you less than 100% comfortable and be less efficient.

Between you and your contractor you have to find the balance between your budget and comfort needs. Just because there is only one correct solution for the home does not mean that it is necesarily right for you. Just know going in that your contractor can do whatever you want them too, as long as you know if may not be 100% correct

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast