Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greasing motors

Greasing motors

What do you do when you're greasing a motor (say 10 HP) and has grease fittings but no plugs at the bottom? Where is all the grease going? Isn't it just filling up the casing of the motor, eventually causing failure?

No plugs = no grease from me.
    Local 449?

without a plug, you need to consult motor or bearing mfg for frequency and amount of lubrication

with that info, you'll be golden
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    without a plug, you need to consult motor or bearing mfg for frequency and amount of lubrication

with that info, you'll be golden
    X2 call the manufacturer. Im always bugging them guys lol.
    Baldor has the IOM's on their website. They hook you up.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Spend some time at your local motor repair company and take a look at some of the motors taken apart for rewind/repair..Many of the end bells of a motor taken apart just crammed with excess grease from over the years of too frequent greasing or just much more than the manufacturer reccomends.
    It's gotta' go somewhere when you stick a grease gun capable of thousands of pounds pressure to it. Does wonders for the windings when it starts stacking up there.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Had one with so much grease in it the thing started on fire. Customer said he didn't grease motor, while looking across room at grease gun. For me no plugs, no grease as well

i was told by a older tech in our company not to grease the motors. we had a 10hp that someone greased that ruined the bearings and bell housing.

we used lock tight to take the noise out till the new one comes in. 10 weeks.

I think almost all motors are over greased.
    If it has plugs I'll change the grease once a year (normally). No plugs, I'll just keep an ear on it. If it gets a bit noisy half a pump of grease usually will quiet it down for a good bit of time.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Greasing motors is seldom necessary, usually makes more problems and more mess due to improper action during the lube-ing.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Most large motors come with polyurea grease. Lithium based grease is what is used for most blower bearings. If you mix polyurea grease with lithium grease the polyurea liquifies and runs out of the bearing. I agree, call the manufacturer for grease type and how often to lubricate. "If it ain't broke, don't break it". If it is not noisey, make a note to check it next time. Remember you are there to make it better, not worse.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

if there is no relief plugg becarefull when you grease the extra will push through and get on your windings and get accidic.I have pulled motors apart to find to much grease . also have had to replace bearings do to mixed and wrong grease .

Can't lay my mouse on the url right now but I did some research a few years back and found a study that said that more motors failed from over greasing than from lack of grease.

Remember grease is a lubricant that melts at a specific temperature... as the bearing heats up a little melts, lubricating and cooling the bearing. (I learned this in steam school )

Klaus
    "As a Latino growing up in Spanish harlem, it's not easy trying not to be hot-headed." Erik Estrada born 3-16-1946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast