Oily substance around bottom of central air unit/replacement unit question

I just want a quick opinion. We have a 22 yr old Rheem central air unit...It was here when we bought the house.Last summer our AC started blowing warm with no force. We went outside and there was an oily type liquid around the bottom of the unit. The fan and all that still moved....any ideas???

We are looking at a replacement(or repair if it would be good idea which I doubt). We have a story and a half home built in 1972, about 1300 sq feet plus a basement which adds about 800 sq feet or so. We do use the basement for living space, but it stays pretty cool on its own. We had lots of trouble keeping the upstairs cool when the AC did work. We have no shade trees at all. We do have new windows (2002)Any suggestions? We are going to call contractors for estimates today, but I wanted to get opinions from here! I am 8 months pregnant, pregnant women and heat do not mix well

Oil sometimes leak out with the refrigerant, the oily spot your seeing might indicate a refrigerant leak, which would also explain the poor performance. hopefully the system can be recharged and hold until you get it replaced.

Thanks for your reply...There was a place i called last year and they guy actually went over things with me on the phone before we did a service call...instead of just saying they would come out. I talked to my husband and we may try one service call to see what a repair would be. I really only want to make it though this summer, and next year maybe replacing both A/C and furnace.

Re: Oily substance around bottom of central air unit/replacement unit question

Originally posted by sierra821
    I really only want to make it though this summer, and next year maybe replacing both A/C and furnace.
    That's an original.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

really only want to make it though this summer, and next year maybe replacing both A/C and furnace.

and next year when "the baby" needs the air conditioning, you wont be able to buy that new ac or furnace

"The baby" needs it now

Originally posted by ct2
    really only want to make it though this summer, and next year maybe replacing both A/C and furnace.

and next year when "the baby" needs the air conditioning, you wont be able to buy that new ac or furnace

"The baby" needs it now
    could you clarify this for me?

Originally posted by ct2

"The baby" needs it now
    "the baby"????? why are you using quotes? Man you are one miserable piece of work.

"and next year when "the baby" needs the air conditioning, you wont be able to buy that new ac or furnace"

Um..I have my finances under control thank you...it's just since i will be on UNPAID maternity leave I would rather wait a yr to replace it if feasable to avoid a finacial strain this summer, if not worth repairing/rechargeing then we will do it this year...next yr I can afford it just fine than you. Sorry but I think that was uncalled for.

Re: Oily substance around bottom of central air unit/replacement unit question

Originally posted by sierra821
    "and next year when "the baby" needs the air conditioning, you wont be able to buy that new ac or furnace"

Sorry but I think that was uncalled for.
    You are right.
    I think ct is having a bad day, he jumped on some others as well that weren't looking for diy, the deserving victim of wrath

at 22yrs its probably not worth repairing, but given the situation, a few hundred now is better than a few grand. I know thers work on my truck being put off for a few months while my wife is on leave (baby 2 weeks ago)

find the guy your friends/family/neighbours like and talk to them, explain the situation after they look at it and see what they say. could be a small problem with no need to talk about bigger issues

Lightbulb

yes, at 22 years old, the unit has well lived its useful life. as mentioned before, a few hundred is better than a few thousand. but i might mention a thing or two of my thoughts.

lets use an example:

say that you unit has a bad fan motor. now, while you could pay 200 or so dollars for a new motor, it would work, but heres the catch, the compressor could go out a week down the road. so then youre stuck with a week old motor inside a 22 year old ac with a bad compressor. you just wasted 200 bucks. the motor would get you by, but if you are going to be spending 500 or so in repairs, you are almost 1/3 of the way into a new unit. personally, i think in this example, the owner should get a new unit

now, i dont know whats up with your ac, but i think ive made the point shall we say. just dont milk your ac along or a few years down the road, you might have spent like 6,000 on it. for 6k, you could get a very nice ac AND furnace.

just my 2 cents!!!

There are a few contractors that have 1 year no interest financing on new systems. Plus you might find some good rebates on full systems from the MFG and the power company.

Home Depot credit has 1 year no interest financing of you go through one of their referred dealers, which I had great experience with.

This way you could have the best of both worlds. AC now, pay later.

Other thing to consider now is that next year minimum SEER will be 13, if you are looking at at 10 SEER unit now the cost next year will be quite a bit higher. Might be better to buy now rather than later.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Thanks for all the help...we will probably end up replacing it....but he still wants to keep the service call just in case...We shall see what happens tomorrow.