Current draw during startup - Carrier AC - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    and, you may have a pp sine wave from the new generator! = clipped waves

what is the rms voltage? the rms amperage draw? how good is your meter? how many times have you used this meter to read starting currents?

cem-bsee

I think the meter you are referring to was the meter on the military generator I used to have. I never used it to look at the starting current.

Stevehvac,

I am running the system off of 240 volts now so there shouldn't be a problem with the transformer and 22 volts versus 24 volts. The data plate on the compressor lists the motor as 208/230 volts with acceptable range from 187 volts to 256 volts.

I checked the fuses at the outdoor unit and both were good. That is they showed a short on the ohm meter. The HVAC techs here where I work believe the problem is in the 24 volt contact side of things. They believe the contacts are making and then breaking and could be a weak coil or thermostat issue. I have a call into the dealer who installed the unit and am anxiously awaiting to get him out to look.

Thanks to all

Mike

Originally posted by mikecales
    Stevehvac,

I am running the system off of 240 volts now so there shouldn't be a problem with the transformer and 22 volts versus 24 volts. The data plate on the compressor lists the motor as 208/230 volts with acceptable range from 187 volts to 256 volts.

Okay...what he was saying was this:Your transformer likely consists of different "taps" on the primary side,one for 208,one for 240.They should match the voltage you are presently feeding in...

You can check to see if the contactor is pulling closed or not,that should tell you something.

no, I am refering to any troubleshooting meter for use on an electrical system -- should be one which reads the RMS values for alternating circuits -- usually costs more --

what is the control voltage value when the unit is trying to start? the "24v"

Jacob,

The transformer was set up for 240 originally and that is what I am applying. When I ran the unit off of 208 I did not make any changes ( only out of ignorance that I was supposed to). Then when I switched back to 240 everything was still operating fine. That was last summer. After the winter I switched generators from the old one to a new one and am now having the problem. I wish I still had the old one so I could eliminate one of the two possible causes = generator or air conditioner?

Mike

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    Originally posted by mikecales
    You can check to see if the contactor is pulling closed or not,that should tell you something.

Okay,it still sounds to me like the problem is in the control circuit.Of couse,I am only guessing based on what I read here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123