Thread: Airscreen 1000 filter

Post Likes

Question

Since I am getting my first heat pump installed next week, I decided that it would be a good idea to get a better filter system installed as well. The sales guy talked me into the Airscreen 1000 (after I groaned at the price of the Honeywell F300 Electronic Cleaner that they want 650 for). They want 299 for the Cimatec Airscreen 1000 and he told me it was a great product for the price.

I asked about the media filters instead but he really discouraged me from those products (they offer the Honeywell F200 or F150). He said the replacement filters for those media filters are very costly and need to be replaced every 3-4 months whereas the Airscreen filters are very reasonably-priced (even though they also have to be replaced at least as often).

I can't find much research out there about these filter systems and the pros and cons so I'm hoping I can get some advice out there. Will I be okay with the Airscreen 1000? I'm hoping so!

thanks
    Monica

Post Likes
    Did you go to some place like

http://www.aniline.com/products/Cimatec/as1000.html

Looks like MERV 7. I just had a Aprilair 2400 put in, I think its a MERV8 or MERV10, but......I got it to kept my system clean, not to make my air pure. I'm more worried about the static load on my system that getting a super cleaner.

The only work I got done at the time was the filter, so for the money, I had the worse scenerio (new duct work ect). If you just got a new system, that should have been a great time to get the best they had to offer. Ask your service company how much if you had it installed at a later date.

Post Likes
    I wonder what size filter, CFM and face velocity the .18 in wc airflow resistance is at? It looks like it is only 1" thick and designed to slide into a standard filter rack. You better be ready and willing to clean that thing more than once a month.

I wouldn't recommend something like that to one of my cystomers. Without exeption, every product like that I have seen over the years was to restrictive to airflow. Usually the durability of the product leaves a lot to be desited also.

Ask for an Aprilaire or other extended media air cleaner that you only have to change the media in every year or so. In most cases, the questionable benefits of an electronic air cleaner don't come anywhere close to being worth the extra cost and maintenance.

I have yet to see an electronic air cleaner that keeps the equipment as clean as a good quality extended media filter. Most of the units I see with electronic air cleaners are no cleaner inside than if cheep disposable filters were used. The reason for that is electronic air cleaners much touted efficiency drops off VERY quickly as they get dirty. Once the cells have a coat of dust on them, they do very little, and almost nobody cleans them often enough to keep them efficient.

Post Likes

Media Filter

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Ask for an Aprilaire or other extended media air cleaner that you only have to change the media in every year or so.
    Keep it as simple as possible ...

deep Media Filter with ~ Merv 7 rating ought to be sufficient
    ....... Unless you have some health / respiratory issues.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Also ask them about their experience with repairing UVs. When I asked for the aprilaire 2400 (non UV), the service guy tried to talk me into aprilaire 5000 - I asked him, do they break alot, yes. Do you get complaints on ozone smell, yes.

I wanted a passive system that left me alone. Until your post I had never heard of Airscreen 1000. I had kept my research down to airbear, aprilair and honeywell. I went with Aprilaire because of a spring rebate, but I could have easily went with the other two.

Do a google, and you'll get many hits, or even search here. Try just "filter"

Post Likes
    ooops should have said electronic not UV (though that is out there too).

I read the spec again, it sounds more and more like the words that when with an air cleaner consumer reports shot down, where the electronic "effect" cleaned the air - what was that expensive piece of worthlessness called - air breeze?? - But at least what your going after has media.

Post Likes
    The airscreen 1000 is very much like the dynamic aircleaner. A 24v electronic with a changeable media in the middle. They have poor reliability on circuit boards and a high pressure drop. Anything mechanical is better. An airbear, april air 2200 or 2400, whatever, just get merv 7 or 8 and you will be happy and better off. Most extended pleat mechanical filters will last in most homes for a year.

Post Likes
    Another thing for you to considder.

In my opinion, super duper high end filters in the equipment do little to actually improve indoor air quality. A good filter system will keep your equipment clean, wich will help keep you from having IAQ problems due to things growing in the HVAC equipment.

Bottom line is that the air filter can't remove what never gets to it.
    The overwealming majority of dust and other polutants in your home will never reach the air filter in your HVAC system.
    They settle out of the air onto your furnashings, floors and walls well before they have a chance to get pulled through the air filter, even if the blower is on 24/7.

If you want to make real improvements to indoor air quality in your home, the ductwork needs to be properly sealed, and sources of uncontrolled infiltration and/or exfiltration in the home need to be found and delt with.

Post Likes

Hmm pressure drop

The Airscreen 1000 literature states that it has a Pressure Drop of .15 in w.c. @ 300 fpm. The Honeywell Media air cleaners F200 and F150 have a slightly higher pressure drop of .18.

If pressure drop is crucial, why shouldn't I just go with the Airscreen product?

Monica

Post Likes
    Surface area.

The f159, 200, won't become restrictive as quickly.

Post Likes

Re: pressure drop

Originally posted by monicap
    The Airscreen 1000 literature states that it has a Pressure Drop of .15 in w.c. @ 300 fpm. The Honeywell Media air cleaners F200 and F150 have a slightly higher pressure drop of .18.

If pressure drop is crucial, why shouldn't I just go with the Airscreen product?

Monica
    That .15 or .18 in wc @ 300 fpm does not reflect what will actually be going on in a real installation. Depending on the size system you have, you would need a filter setup with the airflow split between 2 or 3 of those Airscreen 1000 filters to get a face velocity of 300 fpm. In a typical installation with one filter located in a rack on the return end of the furnace, a filter like that is likely to produce a pressure drop >.3 in wc when it is clean and new. Since there is not much surface area to them, they get very restrictive very fast as they get dirty.

Pressure drops through extended media filters are generally listed based on the total CFM passing through the filter. Listing pressure drop at certain CFM levels is much more realistic for compairing performance in actual installations. The huge surface area of media air cleaners also tends to cause the pressure drop to rise very slowly as the media gets dirty.

You may want to look at going with an Aprilaire 2200 or 2400. They have lower pressure drops across the board than the Honeywell media filters.

Post Likes
    The contractor that I am getting my Trane heat pump through did not offer the Aprilair products so it may not be an option for me unfortunately.

What's the price point on those Aprilaire products anyway??? Significantly more than the honeywell media air cleaners?

-Monica

Post Likes
    I don't know about price point, but the dealer should be able to get the April Air from his supplier..

I have the honeywell F200, and I am happy with it.

Both filters are not that expensive.. Can get them from a hardware/home center store.

Post Likes

Red face SERVICE ! !!

Originally posted by monicap
    The contractor that I am getting my Trane heat pump through did not offer the Aprilair products so it may not be an option for me unfortunately.
    Go on to the Next Dealer
    if he does not meet YOUR Requessts !

AprilAire = VERY, VERY Common
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    The price should be very similar between the Honeywell and the Aprilaire media filters, but the Aprilaire is a superior product by far.

Another option that I'm suprised your dealer didn't offer is the Trane Perfect Fit air cleaner.
    The nice thing about them is that the filter base is the exact same deminsions as the bottom of the air handler.
    It can come with an expanded media filter or with a 5" thick pleated filter. Most people only have to change the filter in it once a year, but they have less surface area than the Aprilaire, so they can get dirty faster.
    We mainly use the Perfect Fit on upflow installations where the air handler or furnace has to sit on the filter base. For horizontal applications, I prefere the Aprilaire.

The only drawback to them is that Trane is the only real source for replacement filters, so you are at the mercy of your dealers markups when it comes to the price. http://www.filtersnow.com does sell exact Trane replacement filters for around $100 for a box of 2, including shipping, or they have an aftermarket replacement for around $30-$40 each delivered.

[Edited by mark beiser on 06-06-2005 at 09:58 PM]

Post Likes
    I also have had the Airscreen 1000 recommended by two Armstrong dealers. Both said the same thing about the less expensive replacement filters.

Most everything I've heard in general about the electric air cleaners are they are not worth the money and the way to go is with the thick media filters. Is this true or is this Airscreen 1000 a better filter?

Do I go with this recommended Airscreen 1000 or a media filter?

Thanks

Post Likes
    I went with a media filter. I'd stay away from the Airscreen.

-Monica

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in