Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will just be drilling about a 1/8 inch hole in the return and supply Plenum areas which is made from 1 1/2 inch Owens Corning duct board. When Im done I'LL cover the holes with some of that high dollar super sticky silver tape.

Sound ok??

This AM inside 72 and RH41. Condensation on windows...outside.

Wink

No. Duct board sounds awful. Give me sheet metal or give me death.

Oh... You were asking about the hole. Yeah. It's sorite.

As directed I drilled tiny holes and placed a thermometer in the return plenum and the supply plenum.

Its 5:04 in the evening here in Va and Outside its 77 degrees and RH67

Inside its 72 degrees and RH37

The attic is just under 100 degrees. The return thermometer measures 72 degrees and the supply plenum thermometer placed 4 feet from the airhandler on a 12 ft plenum measures 55 degrees.

The register air closest to the airhandler is 56 degrees

The register air farthest(25 feet flex) from the air handler is 58 degrees.

My AC just ran for 20 minutes with very little dripping from condensate line. When it shutdown there was a small but steady stream of water coming from the condensate line and iside RH was still 37.

Sound ok???

I'm in a dry climate. So the numbers for humid areas aren't completely second nature to me. But those numbers could all be normal. The temperature drop might be a little low. If you lived out here then I'd say that it was almost for certain. But that depends on airflow and how much humidity is being removed.

The final piece of the puzzle is the airflow. To know how much capacity your system is delivering you need to know the airflow. That plus your readings plus a measurement of latent capacity tells you how well your system is doing. I know of no easy way for you to check airflow. The simplest way to infer airflow is to use a magnahelic and blower performance chart. Got both of those? Know what they are? If so, then you're set. And if so, you'd qualify as a senior technician at some of my favorite hack shops.

Instrument Accuracy

Originally posted by mikeinva
    Its 5:04 in the evening here in Va and Outside its 77 degrees and RH67

Inside its 72 degrees and RH37

Sound ok???
    Perfect to have ~ 17+ Delta T
    B U T BEWARE
    your HYGROmeter is reading >10% LOW.

R.H. is likely just >50%.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-06-2005 at 09:01 PM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I just closed the ball valves on the hot water heater to make sure hot water isnt moving thru the heating coil while the AC is running.

It was 85 here today and my attic thermo read right at 100

sounds like you might have air entering the return air from the attic, 100 degree air entering the system will definitly change your discharge temp. System not designed to be drawing unlimited amounts of high temp air from attic space.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You have added a media filter and eliminated duct leaks,both of these raise the static pressure and decrease air flow.The other changes likely reduced static.Best to measure it and compare the the fan data chart,for proper air flow.

I have better air flow from my vents than I did before system change??

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by mikeinva
    I have better air flow from my vents than I did before system change??
    If the leakage was severe,that could be the reason,My suggestion is/was just something that should be checked,as a possible cause.

72 in the home and 37% RH.... Just exactly what are you expecting an air conditioner to do? I'm serious.

37%RH at 72 degrees is dry, and yet you still want water pouring out of your drain? I'm at a loss for what the real problem is.

On your other post your complaining about noise but mention the unit is operting properly. I'm not nitpicking, just trying to get to the real problem. Its bastardized unit (mix matched) with the wrong line size and piston and is probably overcharged which would explain the noise and ever so lightly low temperture drop. Yet the temperature in your home is perfect.

Per ARI the coil and condenser combination are rated 10seer. I assume they are therefore fine to use as a system. Apollo air handlers are all matched to somebody elses condenser.....Apollo doesnt make condensers.

My problem is the noisy scroll compressor.

Im beginning to think the problem may be the 3/8 liquid line and possibly imperfect charge?? Manual calls for 1/4 liquid line but installer used existing which was 3/8.

I hope the tech coming tomorrow is smarter than the 2 I have dealt with so far.

I'm with you Doc...I would be handing Mike back his money about now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast