Converting mobile home from oil furnace to electric furnace

Hi. I am looking to do this in the summer. My oil furnace is 20 years old and keeps needing to be reset various time throughout the day. This after spending $200 for a new pump.

Anyway I want to switch to electric just from a convenience standpoint. Tired of worrying about oil and what part is gonna break next on my old furnace.

I have read a few things online saying how crazy expensive electric furnaces are to run. I cant imagine its a HUGE amount more per month then I pay in the summer to run my central air unit. Am I wrong? Does it really raise the bill but $200 a month or more?

My main question is, is this a project a fairly handy person can tackle or should I just get a pro to do it?

Research your price per kwh of electric and what you are paying for a gallon of oil.

Not a DIY job though to be safe. And may require upgrade of electric service.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime3 View Post
    Hi. I am looking to do this in the summer. My oil furnace is 20 years old and keeps needing to be reset various time throughout the day. This after spending $200 for a new pump. was that the problem? if you are resetting it still, probable not.

Anyway I want to switch to electric just from a convenience standpoint. Tired of worrying about oil and what part is gonna break next on my old furnace. and how about the cost when parts fail on the electric unit?

I have read a few things online saying how crazy expensive electric furnaces are to run. I cant imagine its a HUGE amount more per month then I pay in the summer to run my central air unit. Am I wrong? Does it really raise the bill but $200 a month or more? yes, you are probable wrong. the electric FURNACE is not the same as the A/C unit. you are putting in coils that will produce heat, much the same as a toaster.

My main question is, is this a project a fairly handy person can tackle or should I just get a pro to do it?

GET A PRO
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

OIL HEAT vs ELECTRICITY

1. use an online heating cost calculator to figure the cost
    2. many 1900 sq ft mobiles use $200 or more on the electric bill
    3. Google something like "mobile home electric heat costs"
    and you'll find a discussion of how much electric heat can costs.

4. Something is still wrong with your oil setup. It shouldn't be shutting off
    at all after the pump install. Call the guy back or ask here about your area if there is an oil guy that knows his stuff!!

5. It should be purring like a kitten the evidence says its still not totally fixed.
    Please report back what the next tech tell ya!!

According to the calculators id be doubling my heating bill. However it estimates id use $2000 of oil in the winter. I used only about $1000.

Anyway. I think my oil furnace is near the end of its life. I had the pump replaced which fixed the problem of it not pumping oil at all. Now it has this problem of needing the reset button pushed often during the day. Last night it ran fine all night. It just shuts off at various points. It might run one full cycle then need reset to kick back on. Other times it run 3 cycles. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Maybe its just a sensor?

Anyway. I think my oil furnace is near the end of its life. I had the pump replaced which fixed the problem of it not pumping oil at all. Now it has this problem of needing the reset button pushed often during the day. Last night it ran fine all night. It just shuts off at various points. It might run one full cycle then need reset to kick back on. Other times it run 3 cycles. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Maybe its just a sensor?
    Could be several things. When is the last time it was cleaned?

Might just be time for a new oil furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It was serviced like a month into this winter when the pump when bad. New nozzle and the usual stuff. Noway I can justify buying a new oil furnace. Who knows where oil prices will end up in the coming years.

How old is your a/c unit ?

a little over 15 years old. That thing is a trooper. I never do any kind of maintenance to that thing and it still works like a champ.

It was serviced like a month into this winter when the pump when bad. New nozzle and the usual stuff. Noway I can justify buying a new oil furnace. Who knows where oil prices will end up in the coming years.

Who knows where electric prices will end up?

Oil at 4 dollars a gallon and 80% efficiency, is cheaper then an electric furnace with electric at 12.2 cents per KW.

At 5 dollars a gallon, oil is cheaper then electric at 15.25 cents per KW.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

a little over 15 years old. That thing is a trooper. I never do any kind of maintenance to that thing and it still works like a champ.
    Presumably natural gas isn't available.

What's your climate like? Have you looked into a heatpump?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post

Have you looked into a heatpump?
    My same thoughts. With a 15 year old a/c unit he could save some electric with a higher SEER rating as well.

I'm guessing you don't have natural gas available? Have you considered having a propane tank installed? There will be some initial costs associated with having a tank set and gas lines ran, but it might be a little cheaper than oil and a whole lot cheaper than an electric furnace. I'd replace that A/C and install a heat pump too. With how much electric furnaces cost to operate, I'd be looking into alternative sources other than electric, whether it be another oil furnace w/a heat pump or a propane furnace w/a heat pump. Just my