i had a previous post about my central air but its currently mia. my outside unit does not come on, but when i jump the y to r it kicks on, what does this mean? bad wiring or bad thermostat

Originally posted by lsabucco
    i had a previous post about my central air but its currently mia. my outside unit does not come on, but when i jump the y to r it kicks on, what does this mean? bad wiring or bad thermostat
    My vote would go for the stat. .
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

the wiring on the thermostat itself is all correct, its a new thermostat, i beleive the guy who put it in tinkered with stuff,

Well if you jumped yellow to red and outside came on you have a stat problem.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

so the new stat is just junk, anything else i should try before i replace it?

I did not say it was junk only that you have a stat issue could be wired wrong or etc.

any ideas how i can narrow it down/?

tie the green,red,and yellow wires at the stat together and if blower fan and compressor outside comes on you have a stat problem, I don't like giving play by plays here as an HO you can only go so far before you really need to call a service tech. so you don't create for yourself more problems hope this will narrow down your problem.

Hmm

what brand and model is it,if it has an cool or auto for system make sure its on either. if your jumping out at the subbase R for fan G...cool Y and they run its in the stat,and the wiring is solid to the AHU and the condenser possible programming item.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Give us more details about what's happening.. Thermostats are often blamed, but rarely are the actual problem. In this case, it's sounding more likely, but 99% of the time it's not a stat prob as long as you're using a good quality thermostat. Now, if that thermostat is made by Hunter, Rite-Temp, Lux, or some other DIY-grade stat, all bets are off.

its a white rogers brand

Make sure it has a jumper from rc to rh if it is required on this model. Only way to test the stat is by checking continuity on the terminals when it is calling for heat/cool. disconnect the wiring and set it to call for cooling, then check and see if you have a closed circuit between Y and R. If you do then the tsat is calling for cooling and working properly, if not replace it.