Help with installing flare fittings on new firelog unit

Hi guys, I am a homeowner and need help, I hope it is Okay to post here. I just bought a new firelog set. It is a Peterson evening frye. Beautiful set, but I am nervous about hooking it up. I have an older firelog set in there now that is about 8-10 years old and outdated.

Long story short, I began to install the new set when I noticed that the flare fitting was a little smaller and does not look like it will fit up with the copper fitting on the back of the new Peterson gas unit. It does screw on, but is loose and does not seem to seat correctly with the new gas fitting. Now the unit came with a new flex line, but I am having trouble getting the old flexline off from the incoming gas line (Shut off valve) connection. I assume that there must be some kind of sealant on there. I would rather just leave the flex line alone and just change fittings, I assume this would be easier? I am kind of worried that the new flex line may not fit up with the incoming gas line connections.

So what I want to know is, I have thought about just taking the old copper fitting off the old gas unit and putting it on the new Peterson unit, but I cannot get that fitting off either, it is glued on good. Now will I damage the fitting or the unit if I put some torque on it? I assume that it is pipe dope or something similar, so if it is pipe dope, can I break the bond or is it stuck on? I am sorry for the long post and I hope I explained this right, but I would like to do this myself. I have hooked up gas fittings before around my home, but never had any problems like this. Thank you for any help

Gas work should be done by a licensed gas plumber. From your post it sounds like you have stumbled thru previous gas work and got lucky and did not blow your family up !!! Please call a professional before you kill your family and/or neighbors !!!
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Exclamation DIRT FT

Do it right the first time. Installing gas appliances is not a DIY project, for the reasons you presented here and more. Hire pros to first conduct an NFPA Level I inspection on the suitability of the fireplace then to install the new set and test for leaks and carbon monoxide spillage.

We don't want to read about you in the papers so please hire a pro.

No, you should never reuse flare fittings.

There should be pipe dope approved for your fuel type on the pipe threads but not on the flares.

DIY gas installation can void your homeowner's insurance so that if you survive the explosion, they won't rebuild your home or pay your medical bills.

Don't endanger everyone who enters that home--hire a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    Gas work should be done by a licensed gas plumber. From your post it sounds like you have stumbled thru previous gas work and got lucky and did not blow your family up !!! Please call a professional before you kill your family and/or neighbors !!!
    I appreciate the post, but I had all the gas work done by a pro years ago and I did not get lucky, because I have not done anything but shut the gas off and remove the old system.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Do it right the first time. Installing gas appliances is not a DIY project, for the reasons you presented here and more. Hire pros to first conduct an NFPA Level I inspection on the suitability of the fireplace then to install the new set and test for leaks and carbon monoxide spillage.

We don't want to read about you in the papers so please hire a pro.

No, you should never reuse flare fittings.

There should be pipe dope approved for your fuel type on the pipe threads but not on the flares.

DIY gas installation can void your homeowner's insurance so that if you survive the explosion, they won't rebuild your home or pay your medical bills.

Don't endanger everyone who enters that home--hire a pro!
    Thanks, We have decided to bring someone in and take a look and get it done right.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your statement, "Youve hooked up gas fittings before around my home"
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Might as well have your professional leak check the rest of your supply lines while you have them out. Sounds like it could be some time before you have any one out again. Sometimes a safety check turns up some rot or damage you would be happy to know about before it turns in to property damage or inflated bills.