I have a Heil furnace (about 1992). The blower stopped working in any mode (heat, cool, or fan on). When I went down to look at it the replaceable filter had come apart and been sucked into the blower motor. I assume something in the system overheated and that is why it has stopped working. I took out the filter and the blower still rotates very smoothly when I push it by hand. Is there a fuse or something that protects the system and needs to be replaced, or would the motor overheat and need replacement.

Did you check the circut-breaker or fuse to see if it blew? You might have burned out the motor from it being stuck and it will most likley need replacing. How long was that filter in the system? You should check it every month to make sure it is not clogged.

I did check the circuit breaker and this is not it. I can do things like leave the power on the unit and get the switch to activate when I push the front panel switch in (the plunger that verifies the front panel is on).

Senior Tech Guest
    You probably burnt out the motor...there are several ways to check out but we can't discuss them here as this is not a dyi site, best advice would be to call a reputable company and let them do the dirty work....(Lusker has transformed me into a nice guy...sickening ain't it...)

Thanks,
    I was afraid that would be the problem. Is this something I should even attempt myself. I am an engineer and used to working on things like appliances. If the savings isn't that much anyway I am sure it is safer just to have someone elso do it. I do have and often use a multi tester if there is a certain check to verify it is the motor that is burned out.

Yea i would recommend calling a professional for that. It could be something simple as a blown fuse, or it could be a bad motor.

Originally posted by mtdahmer
    Thanks,
    I was afraid that would be the problem. Is this something I should even attempt myself. I am an engineer and used to working on things like appliances. If the savings isn't that much anyway I am sure it is safer just to have someone elso do it. I do have and often use a multi tester if there is a certain check to verify it is the motor that is burned out.
    A psc motor is a psc motor. Not to be rude, but if you are accustomed to working on appliances and the like then this thread should have never happened.

Originally posted by berad
    A psc motor is a psc motor. Not to be rude, but if you are accustomed to working on appliances and the like then this thread should have never happened.
    Ditto!