Thread: Control Transformer Question

Post Likes

Confused

Ruud 3 ton straight cool with heat strips. This unit is for my Garage/shop. The contactor had the dreaded ant across the contacts and burned the contactor up. I replaced the contactor and now have nothing unless I manual momentarily push the contactor in by hand. I have checked the t-stat and even replaced it with a known good one, but no luck. Today I got in the attic and used the volt meter to check the control transformer. I had 240 volts in on the correct taps for input and nothing on the re coming out..... Guess that means a trip to the parts house. Could the ct have gotten trashed by the contactor having arced around the ant that was in there making it chatter?? Never had a bad ct before...

Post Likes
    You probably blew the low voltage control fuse when you were doing the contactor.

Post Likes
    I do not see a fuse on the lo voltage circuit. Where in the air handler would it be?uud unit and did not see it on the schematic...

Post Likes
    Also would I still get no votage right at the transformer even though I have 240 going in????

Post Likes
    Transformer is dead. A lot of unit don't have fuse. You might want to install a fuse.

Post Likes
    if contactor had fried coil it would almost always wipe out transformer,if there was no fuse in low voltage circuit.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

All fixed now!! It was the control trans. Only time I had to replace one. Imagine that, living in the lightning capitol of the world!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in