Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    They just looked in the crawl space and said 'they can handle a 3 ton, but no bigger'. No testing involved. Nobody mentioned a manual j calculation. I think they said I had a 6" going into the bathroom.

K, I did the manual j (guestimated best I could) how do I interperate the results? I've got a heat gain # and a heat loss #. Which # do I use and what do I divide it by to get the tonage I should use?

If your version is similar to the pro version then you can click on "reports" and then save one of the reports as a .pdf file. Post it or e-mail it to me and I'll post it.

(I posted the calc before I looked at it. But it doesn't have the info we need yet.)

[Edited by Irascible on 06-08-2005 at 02:20 PM]

So the big question is, what tonage would be best?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Loking in the crawl,like using tons per sq ft is not very accurate.

Contractors seldom oversize the duct system,more are undersized then oversized.

Originally posted by imnosupermom
    Home Depot was one of the companies that never called me back. However when one of the guys I had called on my own came he was a Bryant and Trane rep and I asked if he did work for HD cause the name was familiar and he said yes... I think it was the same company that was suppose to call me for HD and never did. The Trane estimate he gave me was huge... 5 numbers before the decimal point, lol.

I also started thinking this morning about what a nightmare it was buying carpet from HD and working with subcontractors getting it installed, I wonder if AC would be similiar.
    With a straight face? What a disappointment. When things settle down, I would report that guy to your local Home Depot store's top manager. 5 numbers could be good for two systems in a mansion. When I checked with a Home Depot's contractor last year for my daughter's condo, he priced out reasonably exactly where I expected.

Al

Originally posted by alinnova
    5 numbers could be good for two systems in a mansion.
    30% or more of our single systems in regular houses have 5 numbers before the decimal point.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    30% or more of our single systems in regular houses have 5 numbers before the decimal point.
    Ditto. But that's at least partly because 30% or more of the houses in this frackin real estate market have 7 digits before theirs.

hugodrax Guest
    If your trying to get the cheapest install you will not be happy down the line.

You will even probably pay a higher electric bill than what you should be if it was properly installed.

go to the Wall of shame and see what cheapest gets you.

Concentrate on service and proper install.

I use to refer people to the wall of shame myself. But you have to go through a lot of service call stuff, commercial stuff and Payson stuff just to find a few botched resi installs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234