Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for all the feedback today. I appreciate it and feel much more comfortable making a decision.

I've got one last question... my original bid for the Rheem single stage did not include a thermostat as I have a new digital one and didn't need one. If I end up going VS, can it use my regular Hunter one I got at Lowes or does a VS require a special one that I would need to make sure gets written into the new contract?

Thanks again!

I'm glad you took my advice to heart.

No special thermostat is needed.

I did take your advice to heart, but there is only so much I feel I can do on my end to ensure I am picking the best company. Not to mention I was in a car accident Friday and feel like dog crap...

I checked the BBB, and both Rheem dealers get an A rating and have been in business years. One showed 2 complaints (in 36mo), the other none. The Carrier guy has a BBB (tripple B) rating, but no complaints in 36mo, but his license is expired which I found interesting.

The Rheem guy who is also the American Standard guy called me this morning to see if I had made a decision. I told him that I thought the other Rheem guy had made an offer he could not match. We talked for a few and he called me back about 30 minutes later. He is offering me his 14 seer AS VS at the price he quoted me his single stage before, which is less than $500 more than the Rheem. This guy is the one with no complaints with the BBB and will get permits if I request them, he will just add it to the price where as the other guy wanted about $300 to get permits and strongly discouraged them. Ii'm under the impression that the guy I have been speaking with will be present at the install and is responsible to make sure everything gets done how we discussed.

Just so you know, I made more than 30 calls to local HVAC companies of various brands and could only get 7 bids. Most companies wouldn't schedule an appointment when I called and never even bothered to call back. Its funny as a home owner I get so many solicitors for products/services I don't need and when I'm ready to fork over some serious cash I practically have to beg someone to take my money.

edited to add... am I missing something? What else should I be doing? What else can I do? We are fairly new to the area and I asked everyone I know for referrals, but nobody has really BTDT. One friend's mom just got a new system, and well the company hasn't called me back. I called before the holiday weekend.

[Edited by imnosupermom on 06-06-2005 at 12:44 PM]

You're doing fine. Excuse my sarcastic remark above. It's just that when I devote nearly 500 words to a single homeowner I crave a little more response than the "thanks to everyone" reply. I'm a bit narcissistic that way.

Your comment about the lack of response reminds me of a customer who I got because I was responsive. She says to me one day: "I'm beginning to think that all contractors are independently wealthy because they never call me back!!!"

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by love_hvac
    I wouldnt go with a rheem, im my opinion they are junk. I would recommend getting some estimates on american standard or trane. If your going to spend the money... get something good. Good luck!
    Got to be an American Standard salesman are someone that is clueless about Rheem/Ruud which I would put up against any brand as for as performance or quality.

Ditto.

Sorry about not giving you more personal attention. :-) Blame it on pain from the car accident.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If you are in a humid climate,I'd get a stat that has the ability to set the humidty ,for cooling and control the fan speed to dehumidify,as a minimum.You can add a seperate control for this,if you want to reuse your stat.

Talking

GEEZ,IT JUST KILLS ME TO SEE TWO COMPANIES SO DARN HUNGARY TO CUT EACH OTHERS THROAT.ILL CRACK UP OVER THAT ONE-I CANT KEEP UP WITH MY NEW INSTALLS OR SERVICE WORK-WHEN YOU DO IT RIGHT YOU DONT HAVE TO CUT EACH OTHERS THROAT -WORD GETS AROUND-YOU DONT HAVE TO ADVERTISE EITHER,I NEVER HAVE AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD MORE THAN I COULD DO YEAR AROUND.WHY DO YOU GUYS TRY TO OUT DO EACH OTHER-ISNT THERE PLENTY FOR EVERBODY?IVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM-THANK GOD-I JUST DO IT RIGHT.
    THANK YOU,
    RIFLE

It just kills me when people are so angry they must yell at me by typing in all caps.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

Get more estimates

I think that you should get seven(7)more estimates, and after that get seven more, and after that get seven more, and after that get seven more, and after that get 777777777777777 more. No wonder you are confused. Good Grief! Boy am I glad you did not call me.

Hmmm, someone doesn't like educated consumers???

I've never bought a central heating/cooling system before. There are several brands to choose from and thousands of dealers. I was just doing my homework so that I could make the best decision for me and my family.

I get a carfax before I buy a used car and I check consumer reports. I test drive a few different makes/models to narrow it down then I find the best overal deal (meaning person/dealer, price, perks, etc.) and buy the vehicle. I don't just look in the penny saver and find a yugo and go get it. I don't have the option to test drive AC units, so I had to educate myself the best I could.

I'm confused. I thought R22, like R12, was/is being phased out?
    But manufacturers are still building systems with R22?

I am also considering replacing a 20+ year old unit.
    I am thinking of relocating the condensor unit outside to the otherside of the house. It will be approx. 50-60 feet away from the evap coil. Is this too far?
    Will I lose unit efficiency?

It's in the backyard where it is an eyesore and in the way of a future deck. FYI.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast