Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I own a building and need HONEST advice

we have 2 rooftop units that are approx 12 yrs old. These are Carrier.
    One has gone out (heat exchanger) and the other works but is showing signs of age

I have two quotes ti replace both units (the thinking is that the other will fail soon--due to them being the same age...one for a carrier and the other for an American Standard

The only benefit I see of changing them both now is that a crane would be used and needed only once

total price installed for the TWO American Standard units vs carrier is about 4500 more. each has the same Warranty.

We are strapped for cash...lack of tenants right now...not even enuf to pay the rent.... (but i would like to keep the building--as we are a tenant as well)

So is the AS better and more relalble than the carrier for the cost difference?

All advise is welcome --- we need it quick...we're in Chicago and need heat!

Quote Originally Posted by 38north View Post
    we have 2 rooftop units that are approx 12 yrs old. These are Carrier.
    One has gone out (heat exchanger) and the other works but is showing signs of age

I have two quotes ti replace both units (the thinking is that the other will fail soon--due to them being the same age...one for a carrier and the other for an American Standard

The only benefit I see of changing them both now is that a crane would be used and needed only once

total price installed for the TWO American Standard units vs carrier is about 4500 more. each has the same Warranty.

We are strapped for cash...lack of tenants right now...not even enuf to pay the rent.... (but i would like to keep the building--as we are a tenant as well)

So is the AS better and more relalble than the carrier for the cost difference?

All advise is welcome --- we need it quick...we're in Chicago and need heat!
    How long do you plan on owning the building? What size units ?

12 years old isnt that old...I have worked on RTU's much older than this. Why not replace the heat exchangers and get on a preventative maintenance contract?

IMO, American Standard is no better than Carrier.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    12 years old isnt that old...I have worked on RTU's much older than this. Why not replace the heat exchangers and get on a preventative maintenance contract?

IMO, American Standard is no better than Carrier.
    This is good advice. Carrier heat exchangers are cheaper then most as for the AS (Trane) you better sit down before i tell you.

Thank you--rooftop carrier replacement

Well... I was hoping this building would be my retirement $$$..someday.

we are the first floor tenant ..and the second floor is all office space, but is not rented much...and we may convert to one 1500 ft apt.

these carriers are 4 ton units...they are rusted too...(in fact, i was warned that it could be bad idea to fire them up...due to a rusted out whole..in some of the metal --- which may be replaced?)

the units also have the condensor for the ac too.

the replacement units are

carrier 48TCEA05A2A
    American ASYSC048E3EHA0000

help me please

Well... I was hoping this building would be my retirement $$$..someday.

we are the first floor tenant ..and the second floor is all office space, but is not rented much...and we may convert to one 1500 ft apt.

these carriers are 4 ton units...they are rusted too...(in fact, i was warned that it could be bad idea to fire them up...due to a rusted out whole..in some of the metal --- which may be replaced?)

the units also have the condensor for the ac too.

the replacement units are

carrier 48TCEA05A2A
    American ASYSC048E3EHA0000

help me please
    I just can't see spending the extra money on those American Standards but then the AS guys will say something differant i'm sure. Carrier make a good RTU unit and the parts prices are within reason. Just my

the decsion?

is it everyone opinion that I should repalce both units in full...or just try to get by with with heat exchanger?

Another scenario is ask several contractors if they have any blemished units with factory warranty still intact. If not then I would opt to go the heat exchanger route for a short term solution.

rooftop

these have a curb..so the carriers would fit into exisiting ones......

as for your comment... about short term

My concern is that...why spend $3k on short term? What else can go wrong..to the point that I should have gone the full system?

it will soon be spring.. and then summer...so we wont be using heat much more..

does any of this repair affect the AC thst we will be using soon?

I'm so torn as what to do...and money is tight

please re-read my message...please

This is a throw-a-way world. To be able to give you advise on keeping/repairing as apposed to replacing would depend on the condition of the AC controls and compressor(s). Even if they were in OK shape you will need repairs on them the older they get, just a fact of life. A new HX would/should give you another 10 or more years. Will the AC portion hold up? I think most of these guys will tell you that 12 years is an average age on a compressor before replacing. There are exceptions but you will find this number very close.

Replacing just the HX may not solve your heating issues such as... Do you also need a new draft inducer motor and new housing? Do you need the heat shields and plates that are located just above the burners. How about the ignition system? Is the ignition board and spark assy still in good condition? How about the burners? If not, all this will add up very quickly.

Look, cranes are not that expensive but the cost of a replacement unit, labor and permits will not go down. AS and Carrier have their differences, some good some not so good but it's like purchasing a car. Want a Cadi or a Chevy? Is there a difference in the Chevy's... is one a car or a 4X4 truck? They can be ordered with extended warranties too.

Remember I said... it's a throw-a-way world? OK, see how much you can get out of each unit via salvage. Seems the crooks of today steal enough of these to make a few hundred bucks. Have the crane load them up on your trailer, not the AC company's. Take them to a scrap yard yourself. The AC company may thank you for doing that. At our paid out labor rates it costs us money to get rid of them. Are they charging you a demolition/removal charge?

Why did I ask you if they were on a curb... easy. If the new units are being installed with a curb adapter you should make sure you have the model and serial number off of the old units and keep it in a safe place. In 10 or 15 years you will need to replace them again. Without the original model and serial you will need to remove the newer units to get the curb measurements again.

You are going to do one of two things... you are going to replace one now and hold off for the other to break down or you are going to replace both at the same time. It would be cheaper in the long run to replace both now to save on labor and crane but have you thought that your AC company maybe giving you a better deal on the units by getting both at the same time? I think it's time to ask him then stand on your decision to replace both now.

these have a curb..so the carriers would fit into exisiting ones......

as for your comment... about short term

My concern is that...why spend $3k on short term? What else can go wrong..to the point that I should have gone the full system?

it will soon be spring.. and then summer...so we wont be using heat much more..

does any of this repair affect the AC thst we will be using soon?

I'm so torn as what to do...and money is tight

please re-read my message...please
    If the compressors go your going to regret you did heat exchangers.
    A brand for brand change out should go fairly smooth. Having the same footprint .

lennox L series are a pretty sweet unit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast