My wife and I recently purchased a home that is ~10 years old. 3000 sq. ft. with a newly finished basement.
The furnace, although 10 years old seems pretty nice, I mean the heat works, and it seems to be more regulated both with Heat and AC. More so than our previous 60 yr old home
One thing that we notice fairly immediately, is that some of the registers have been blocked off. When we inquired about this, the PO commented that he hired an Engineering Firm to come in and setup the house to be the most efficient....ah okay, whatever.
Well the AC compressor seems to be running ALL OF THE TIME, and our house never quite reaches the desired 'cooling' temp.
Well today, my wife commented that the temp seemed to be rising...and when I went outside to the compressor, it the fan was NOT moving, and the motor was burning hot...needless to say, this would explain the lack of cooling.
Before I turn this thread into a novel, and never get around to asking the question, here is the questions.
1. When this house was built, the furnace and AC may have been correct...or atleast acceptable for that time...but having added a finished basement, and NOT upgraded the HVAC seems a bit of an 'overload' ?
2. How do I best determine what a 3000 sq.ft. house should have for a Furnace and AC?
3. Shouldn't I be able to remove all this added dampners, and blockoffs and just have a good ol "open the register, get air" "close the register, prevent air" type of system?
4. I want to know if I am looking at needing a dual HVAC unit for our size house?
5. What type of professional may I rely on to give me the correct, technical, and non salesman-driven answers?
Please send some help, or further questions for information that I need to provide to better answer.
BTW: we live in Louisville, Ky. and summer has just arrived this weekend...what perfect timing