Talking

Are Electronic Air-Cleaners still installed in forced-air ductwork, or have they been superceded by standalone devices?

I have a Carrier 31MP unit that may be repaired. Should I try to have it fixed or should I replace it? Are spare parts still available and from who?

Thanks for your advice.

Sonou

Parts are available but pricey. If allergies are in your family, I'd upgrade to the Aprilaire 5000 media electronic air cleaner. Very effective and stays that way unlike plate type cleaners that become less effective as they get dirty.

Aprilaire still recommends monthly cleaning of the ionizing wires with a damp cloth. If your lifestyle is such that you are to busy to clean it monthly get prices for Aprilaire 2200 or the 2400 from a reputable company.
    We do not inherit this land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Originally posted by sonou
    , or have they been superceded by standalone devices?

Sonou

I kinda think thats the case being the companies that advertize the stand alone devices have done a way better job of advertizing and selling them. Its not like they are selling them that cheap but if you figure our prices after usally having to redo the return drop adding them on existing installations.....well thats a little pricey. Only thing is you are doing the whole house not just one room with one hooked to your forced air system. For me , I think I favor the the 4" plated media filters. No wires or power modules to go haywire. STILL HAVE TO GIVE THE SELLERS OF THE STAND ALONE ONES CREDIT FOR THEIR MARKETING.

Carrier 31MP Air Filter

Thanks guys,

I guess the general feeling is that it is not worth having it fixed but rather replaced with either an Aprilaire (is that another way of saying "spring air"?) or a passive filter type. I considered the fixing route because there dosen't seem to be anything major wrong, just a repetitive discharge that has nothing to do with fibres or something similar. One of the porcelain stand-offs is broken and so creating a discharge path I think.

In this country (Canada) we run these things 6 months a year so everything has to be in the best of shape and if not, now is the time to have it fixed.

Sonou