Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Around here it's majority Contracts.

The store doesn't hesitate to call for anything. The day to day stuff that anyone can do is covered under contract so they don't pay a dime.

But once the store employee tries to do it, and fails, then calls for service...now it's store damage and billable

So they don't even dare touch it.

And that's how it is around here. I don't know which part of California you're in. but I'm in and out of Ralph's and Von's and Albertson's daily. And that's how they all operate, on Contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post

The store doesn't hesitate to call for anything. The day to day stuff that anyone can do is covered under contract so they don't pay a dime.

But once the store employee tries to do it, and fails, then calls for service...now it's store damage and billable

And that's how it is around here. I don't know which part of California you're in. but I'm in and out of Ralph's and Von's and Albertson's daily. And that's how they all operate, on Contract.

X2 it's the same here.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss

Exactly.

Customers on a contract are a different animal.

As far as implying that you lack certain knowledge, I'm pretty sure that comment is directed at me.

Knowing that a tomato is a fruit is knowledge, knowing that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad is wisdom.

What I'm saying is that knowledge without the wisdom and experience to apply it to the problem and the scenario at hand is something entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Knowing that a tomato is a fruit is knowledge, knowing that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad is wisdom.

What I'm saying is that knowledge without the wisdom and experience to apply it to the problem and the scenario at hand is something entirely different.
    My mind just exploded.

Refrigeration companies get screwed on contracts. Believe me. It might be good hours for a tech, but it's bad bottom line for the refrigeration company itself.

Oh how I'd love it if we signed a set dollar amount contract with a refrig. company and I could call them for whatever, whenever without incurring any extra costs because it's "covered by the contract". Oh how I'd love that.

Again, anybody who has been in the industry for awhile. Hussmann and Safeway. There's a contract that did Hussmann...well, is there Hussmann anymore?

Hussmann is very much alive & well. There is a world outside of Safeway, outside of IR. I wouldn't count them out just yet.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck
    Refrigeration companies get screwed on contracts. Believe me. It might be good hours for a tech, but it's bad bottom line for the refrigeration company itself.

Oh how I'd love it if we signed a set dollar amount contract with a refrig. company and I could call them for whatever, whenever without incurring any extra costs because it's "covered by the contract". Oh how I'd love that.

Again, anybody who has been in the industry for awhile. Hussmann and Safeway. There's a contract that did Hussmann...well, is there Hussmann anymore?
    It definitely works to the customer's advantage.

On the other hand, it gives me stuff to do in the winter when there are no service calls.

Ice, the world outside your store is majority Contracts. It's not just a Safeway thing

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It definitely works to the customer's advantage.

On the other hand, it gives me stuff to do in the winter when there are no service calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    Ice, the world outside your store is majority Contracts. It's not just a Safeway thing
    Yep.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Southern California sucks, I wish about 3 "large" companies would fold.... But that won't happen because they charge dirt to do the work. I do love to go and read the log books and see someone there every other day and most of them are call backs.... Serves the customer right for only looking at the bottom dollar and not quality.

I don't often get time to post on this site, for a variety of reasons. I just happened to stumble on this thread while doing some research for a presentation. I had a chuckle when I saw some posts suggesting that we, the technicians, risk being replaced by blinking lights.

I am coming up to 12 yrs in commercial refrigeration and almost half of it in supermarkets.

Just updating my Emerson Product Selection Software, and looking at the recent updates to the application engineering bulletins. Most of the bulletins are reference to the latest compressor controller versions with serial communication i.e. core sense, digital scrolls. It seems that there are always new blinking toys that, in three months, will end up in my stores. This is just a slice of the near daily barrage of new equipment controllers to read up on.

Point being, I don't see how any of this new technology is going to replace the human in the refrigeration field. Humans design it, humans make increasingly more complicated designs, humans (the "technician") will have to repair it.

As far as companies paying technicians less to do more work, this is still true... However I see the perfect storm brewing. In my slice of the world there is too much work and not enough knowledgeable minds. Companies are taking on work and sub-contracting it out to other companies because there are not enough qualified technicians and too many call-backs. Too many companies blame the economy or a low-informed workforce as an excuse not to invest in their people.

I believe that this is a perfect time to invest in your technical expertise. When a smart, instinctive company realizes that they are going have to pay some chickens to get a good or keep an experienced tech, there will be some money to be made for the tortoise. (if you didn't get the metaphor, the guy or gal who sticks with it)

I agree. The last 2 store I built have 10x the electronic equipment as previous ones and the service calls are much more frequent. (each store has around 160 control boards, 150 pressure transducers, 400 temperature probes and severely overloaded networks) I now push buttons for a living.

I know this is an older thread. Its a shame I wasn't a member yet back then.

You guys made some great points.

If people at the stores where able to handle simple things on their own I would be a happy man.

Unfortunately, it seems most store managers are incapable of handling the "simple things". This theory is proved, by how many calls I get for silly problems like breakers being turned off, product blocking airflow, etc......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast