Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    If I was a Store Manager and had the ability to be a Market Tech...

I would ditch my Manager job in a heart beat.

I make well over double what a store Manager makes yearly.

Whats holding you back?

Quote Originally Posted by emcontrols View Post
    Yes like plumbing water plastic, pretty good stuff for plumbing, definately dont think it would be good for CO2.
    Georg Fischer pipe is what you are thinking of. And once you finish their training and look at what's at stake, I would hope you go with copper and silfoss like most everyone else. (or 100% everyone else a year after install warranty is done)

Quote Originally Posted by mspanky;12863721[COLOR="Red"
    ]Georg Fischer pipe [/COLOR]is what you are thinking of. And once you finish their training and look at what's at stake, I would hope you go with copper and silfoss like most everyone else. (or 100% everyone else a year after install warranty is done)

George Fischer pipe sucks.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Icenek is a sign o' the times, fellas.

Make no mistake. Kroger, Walmart, Costco, Safeway, to name just a few, and any number of independents are all experimenting with various levels of In-House involvement. Why would the store pay premium cash for basic stuff that any human with partial vision can accomplish? There have been exceptions pointed out here and there about how the contracts work or running into weird problems, fair enough. Those things will always exist.

But when I walk into a local neighborhood Albertson's and see the Staff running gardenhose to de-ice the Ice Cream Line-Up, it breaks my heart just a little. Stores are figuring out that their guys can wear more than one hat. The mgrs can school up a bit on refrigeration, no problem. Or a service tech can hire on as an In-House Engineer and school up as a Mgr.

We all know (or know of) the guy that was a Tech, then hired on at the larger Supermarket Chain as their Chief of Store Engineering, now does that same gig for the restaurant supply guy. This is the way of the future. More and more of the Service will be kept In-House. Icenek is right. Not sure I like it much, but he's right. Stores will still use contractors for some things, but twice now I've run into stores with their own Leak Detectors.

Times are changin' fellas. Changin' fast.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    If I was a Store Manager and had the ability to be a Market Tech...
    Kinda like saying:

"If I were a woman and had balls."

Never happen.

The Market we contract with will not let anyone but us do anything. Thart being said they do have to keep there cases clean.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    The Market we contract with will not let anyone but us do anything. Thart being said they do have to keep there cases clean.
    We see some of this, too.

At one time, the employees weren't even permitted to move a self-contained, plug-in case for fear of getting shocked.

Common sense is returning slowly. VERY slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    We see some of this, too.

At one time, the employees weren't even permitted to move a self-contained, plug-in case for fear of getting shocked.

Common sense is returning slowly. VERY slowly.
    Way to slowly.

If store management and employees are the future of service work...

I'm gonna pocket a whole lotta cash

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    If store management and employees are the future of service work...

I'm gonna pocket a whole lotta cash

I wish I could say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    George Fischer pipe sucks.
    Yes, I do beleive that was the name of the pipe, couldnt remember the name, Is it flexible like pex, He called it george pex. I'll find out for sure tommorrow.

On the store employee thing getting smarter, Im for it. Come on guys how many times at 3:00AM after a 17hour day have you been called out on a CPC or danfoss store xyz case high temp alarm, and when you get there 1 1/2 hours later and the case is at temp. Look at the logs and it just came out of defrost or they just got done loading a case. Pissed off yes, easy money yes, but dam, I would much rather have a real problem. I have a handful of stores that I can actually call up, and bill for a 1/2 hour to save them a 3 hour service call. That to me would be better money invested on stupid s***.

One thing I don't understand is that some of the people here have voiced opinions implying that they hold some sort of knowledge that others' don't...i.e. "well do what you want, but when things go screwy because of what you did, and you call me, I won't help you." Guess how many refrigeration companies vie for our business on a monthly basis? If I had a problem and a mechanic refused to help me, guess what I'd do? Send him out of the store and then call the next company and say something like "Company X was just really rude to me. We really need some help. Think you can get a guy here in an hour?" Bet you their guy would be there in 30 minutes, would do whatever was asked, and would probably get a bonus as their company would be our new refrig. contractor.

Sh*t, shop managers call me *monthly* to make sure we're still happy with the guys we use.

It's not the way I want it. I identify more with service techs than with other store employees. But it's the way of the future. Tell me why my general manager would like to pay truck charge + $125 hourly to a refrigeration company to replace an evap motor when he could pay me a decent wage to do the same? Is it really that hard to valve off a circuit and put in a new motor?

The company that works for us is top notch. They know exactly what I do, and still want to work with us. They are honest guys and are not interested in just making money. They really do try to make it so we *don't* have to call them. That's why we work with them.

Oh My.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast