Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    We work under a service contract most of the time.

Every call comes out of OUR pocket, NOT the store's.

So, if a manager wants to do my work, I'm more than willing to facilitate that.

X2
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Ok, contracts. Ask Hussmann how that worked out with Safeway.

I'm sorry, I call complete bull****. I do know what I'm talking about. I not only work on a refrigeration system but I see the invoices coming from refrigeration service providers. And I can tell you ours are way, way down for 4 (almost 5) years due to the what we invested in (protocol).

The system was installed correctly. It was commisioned (and re- commsioned) multiple times, and it's been maintained expertly.

But even if it wasn't maintained perfectly, we'd still save money on it. The cpc graphic user interface is the key. Other managers just look at at and...like I said...eliminate 70% of service calls.

I know it's not waht anyone wants to hear. But it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about.

Theoretically, it should reduce the number of calls, but if the equipment isn't installed properly, commissioned properly, maintained properly and repaired properly when it breaks, guess what?

I'm going to stay really busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck View Post
    I'm sorry, I call complete bull****. I do know what I'm talking about. I not only work on a refrigeration system but I see the invoices coming from refrigeration service providers. And I can tell you ours are way, way down for 4 (almost 5) years due to the what we invested in (protocol).

The system was installed correctly. It was commisioned (and re- commsioned) multiple times, and it's been maintained expertly.

But even if it wasn't maintained perfectly, we'd still save money on it. The cpc graphic user interface is the key. Other managers just look at at and...like I said...eliminate 70% of service calls.

Not getting in the middle of things but I do have a legit question. Im always interested in analytical stuff, How about product loss %. has it went up or down. and profit? Dont need numbers just curious on % over the last 5 years and is there an upward or downward trend from year to year in relation to the % of service $'s spent.

Quote Originally Posted by emcontrols View Post
    Not getting in the middle of things but I do have a legit question. Im always interested in analytical stuff, How about product loss %. has it went up or down. and profit? Dont need numbers just curious on % over the last 5 years and is there an upward or downward trend from year to year in relation to the % of service $'s spent.
    Emc,

Our shrink has been O% since 2009. Literally, we've had no situations where we've had to discard product. I hold it as a badge of honor.

That said, in 2008 we had a power outage lasting 2 + days. We lost everything. Absent that sort of thing, there hasn't been a single ham in the dumpster (as I like to say).

EDIT: Of course we don't have 0 % shrink. But I can say 100% we have zero shrink due to refrigeration breakdowns/etc. As a % of sales, that'd be about O% of 20 million (sales) for the chain I work for. Further, any profit numbers would be really skewed as we've seen a number of comprimising events take place over the last 3 years: New competition in the area, the recession, and changing consumer tastes.

I spend enough of my time going behind our own guys who actually have refrigeration training.

I cant possibly imagine how much time will be spent going behind store managers who tried to be a Tech.

I tell you...

I have replaced compressors because a Manager hit the reset button on a downed Rack.

I have replaced evap coils because a Manager stuck a screwdriver in it while de-iceing.

I have de-iced cases because a Manager tried to de-ice it, but didn't melt the deep down ice

These people are NOT mechanically inclined and have no business doing anything technical. This is dangerous stuff. You are dealing with high pressure and voltages that can and will kill you.

A store Manager will never know the hard work an dedication required to become a seasoned Tech.

Like I said, I know these Managers...They're pussy's.

The Protocol has a rightful place on Hussmann's Brag Sheet, but zero lost or degraded product due to refrigeration issues in 3 years?
    Not sure I'm buyin' that, bud. Fuzzy math.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I spend enough of my time going behind our own guys who actually have refrigeration training.

I cant possibly imagine how much time will be spent going behind store managers who tried to be a Tech.

I tell you...

I have replaced compressors because a Manager hit the reset button on a downed Rack.

I have replaced evap coils because a Manager stuck a screwdriver in it while de-iceing.

I have de-iced cases because a Manager tried to de-ice it, but didn't melt the deep down ice

These people are NOT mechanically inclined and have no business doing anything technical. This is dangerous stuff. You are dealing with high pressure and voltages that can and will kill you.

A store Manager will never know the hard work an dedication required to become a seasoned Tech.

Like I said, I know these Managers...They're pussy's.
    Yeah. No sht.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

I work on these systems every day.

You got a system that was done right. Good for you.

What about the thousands that weren't?

You're giving CPC way too much credit. Your managers are the key. You've got good managers that are paying attention and thinking about their bottom line.

As far as the new systems? Ever deal with an EEPR that doesn't want to close all the time? An EXV that has an intermittent problem with a pressure transducer and floods out a rack? An electronic control board with an intermittent problem that takes half of the store down twice a week? How about a vacuum system for managing condensate from cases?

What I'm saying is "new systems" aren't necessarily the "be all end all" of ending service calls.

Sometimes, it's a wild idea that an engineer has and he pushes it to market before it's ready.

I've seen that plenty of times.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    The Protocol has a rightful place on Hussmann's Brag Sheet, but zero lost or degraded product due to refrigeration issues in 3 years?
    Not sure I'm buyin' that, bud. Fuzzy math.
    Protocol on the brag sheet?

Not in my neck of the woods. Proto

Again, we have had zero product loss in the last 3 years. I've had employees pull a case twice: Once because an employee hit an evap fan breaker while locking out another piece of equipment, and another time when floating suction wasn't installed correctly. Both times, there were no product losses because--as I said before--cpc said "Case X--High Temperature Alarm" and someone started checking stuff right away.

Look, I'm not saying there's no need for a good mechanic any more due to technology. It just seems as though IN MY EXPERIENCE, AT THE STORE THAT I WORK AT we've had many, many fewer service calls due to the technology.

Emc,

Our shrink has been O% since 2009. Literally, we've had no situations where we've had to discard product. I hold it as a badge of honor.

That said, in 2008 we had a power outage lasting 2 + days. We lost everything. Absent that sort of thing, there hasn't been a single ham in the dumpster (as I like to say).

EDIT: Of course we don't have 0 % shrink. But I can say 100% we have zero shrink due to refrigeration breakdowns/etc. As a % of sales, that'd be about O% of 20 million (sales) for the chain I work for. Further, any profit numbers would be really skewed as we've seen a number of comprimising events take place over the last 3 years: New competition in the area, the recession, and changing consumer tastes.
    Well in short my last word of nothingness is you are definately not the norm. To have a management staff that is refer educated is not only rare but slim to none, now dont get me wrong all the stores mngmnt team has some standard procedures, cover product call in refer trucks, close doors follow case loading procedures etc.. even spot the ocassional evap fan failure and potential case steadily losing temp. But if a mangr is handling the day to day refer issues my big concern would be who is handling the bottom line, are there any negative impacts, high turn over, flat sales % year to year, cant get product to the shelf because half the staff are changing filters and logging racks. Just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by emcontrols View Post
    Well in short my last word of nothingness is you are definately not the norm. To have a management staff that is refer educated is not only rare but slim to none, now dont get me wrong all the stores mngmnt team has some standard procedures, cover product call in refer trucks, close doors follow case loading procedures etc.. even spot the ocassional evap fan failure and potential case steadily losing temp. But if a mangr is handling the day to day refer issues my big concern would be who is handling the bottom line, are there any negative impacts, high turn over, flat sales % year to year, cant get product to the shelf because half the staff are changing filters and logging racks. Just curious?
    No...department managers have zero to do with the refrigeration system maintenance, not do rank and file employees. However, for example, the grocery/frozen manager will check an alarm at the protocol if i"m not there. If it says "high temp--pizza case" first thing he'll do is simple stuff like check the doors. That solves 60 % of problems. In no way to they do anything more than that. I do it, or call a service provider.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast