Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I think I'm uniquely positioned to comment on this thread as I'm both a grocery store maintenance manager as well as a trade school student (refrig).

In 2008, my market converted to a whole new refrigeration system (Hussmann protocol). We were spending absurd amounts of money before the remodel on refrigeration service calls (we had a very old rack). After the install of the Protocol's, our refrig. expenses (4 years later) are almost zero as a % of sales. Thing is, if the cpc alarms, a manager will go and read cpc display unit (it's made so non-tradespeople can do it!). It clearly says something like "Meat Freezer--High Temperature". First thing they do is go and check the door-and close it. That type of thing takes care of ~80% of alarms. Before, they would have immediately called a service company. Not anymore.

Then, you have guys like me at stores. I keep the coils clean, and if something like a condensate drain backs up, I do the work. Before, it was the refrigeration company. Not anymore, at least at my market.

That leaves only the complicated stuff that my store is *willing* to pay truck charge+labor for. And with the reliability of our system, we almost never dial that number anymore. And, our energy usage is down by a huge amount vs. our previous system.

When I think of they above, I really question why I'm shelling out $15,000 for trade school at all. Grocery store managers want to minimize labor expenses at all costs and companies like emerson climate will listen. Pretty soon they'll make a cpc that's so user friendly you won't need a tech at all.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-tubing-technical-specs

Given the pressure ratings on this site, I'm thinking that it is NOT PEX tubing.

160 PSI on CO2 is squat. 200# is low temp pressure range for CO2. I believe that 750# is the pressure rating required.

It may look like PEX, but it is something special.

Quote Originally Posted by emcontrols View Post
    I asked the exact same question and the answer was NO, It was to the cases. Ill Do some more interrigation and post some facts next week.
    Please keep us posted.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck View Post
    When I think of they above, I really question why I'm shelling out $15,000 for trade school at all. Grocery store managers want to minimize labor expenses at all costs and companies like emerson climate will listen. Pretty soon they'll make a cpc that's so user friendly you won't need a tech at all.
    I remember, many years ago when I was just starting in this trade, the Protocol system was just emerging.

My dad and I went to a store to meet with a factory rep from Hussmann and this guy looked at me and told me that I was getting into the wrong trade because Hussmann was going to "eliminate the serviceman in 10 years"

My dad got a good, long laugh out of that one and I'm laughing all the way to the bank 17 years later.

Hey, Hussmann. I'm still waiting for you to eliminate me.

LOL I would love to see the store managers replace me as a tech.

I've seen these managers, they're pussy's.

No matter how snazzy the system is, a good tech will not be eliminated. Rather more in demand in my opinion. It's my personal experiences that not many people in the trade are willing to put forth an effort to continue learning. The people on this site are pretty much the exception.

When your fancy thingamajig breaks down...some dumb fool isn't going to be able to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    LOL I would love to see the store managers replace me as a tech.

I've seen these managers, they're pussy's.

No matter how snazzy the system is, a good tech will not be eliminated. Rather more in demand in my opinion. It's my personal experiences that not many people in the trade are willing to put forth an effort to continue learning. The people on this site are pretty much the exception.

When your fancy thingamajig breaks down...some dumb fool isn't going to be able to fix it.

well said.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

JPS,

No disrespect intended, but what about gray areas? Certainly we haven't eliminated *all* service calls, but...eliminating 70-80% of them has sure done our bottom line a lot of service.

Of course nothing will ever be perfect, but you simply can't argue with numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I remember, many years ago when I was just starting in this trade, the Protocol system was just emerging.

My dad and I went to a store to meet with a factory rep from Hussmann and this guy looked at me and told me that I was getting into the wrong trade because Hussmann was going to "eliminate the serviceman in 10 years"

My dad got a good, long laugh out of that one and I'm laughing all the way to the bank 17 years later.

Hey, Hussmann. I'm still waiting for you to eliminate me.

JPS,

No disrespect intended, but what about gray areas? Certainly we haven't eliminated *all* service calls, but...eliminating 70-80% of them has sure done our bottom line a lot of service.

Of course nothing will ever be perfect, but you simply can't argue with numbers!

And you never will eliminate all calls. I for one wish our stores would take the time to look at the problem before they call. 90% of our calls are BS. Having said that we work on contract.

JPS,

Eliminate that stuff, PLEASE!!!

I'd MUCH rather be solving REAL problems than holding some panty-waist manager's hand telling him that it's going to be OK after a power outage.

Managers want to clear drains? Fine. Replace fan motors? Have a blast. Heck, I'll order parts in by the case for managers that are so inclined.

Problem is, too many managers are young kids that think they are too good to get their hands dirty because they've got a bit of college education.

You'll never eliminate a qualified service technician. The guy who can walk in, evaluate a system, keep a calm head during a major meltdown, solve the problems correctly and efficiently will ALWAYS be in demand and NO manufacturer or customer will ever eliminate that.

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    And you never will eliminate all calls. I for one wish our stores would take the time to look at the problem before they call. 90% of our calls are BS. Having said that we work on contract.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Eliminate that stuff, PLEASE!!!

I'd MUCH rather be solving REAL problems than holding some panty-waist manager's hand telling him that it's going to be OK after a power outage.

Managers want to clear drains? Fine. Replace fan motors? Have a blast. Heck, I'll order parts in by the case for managers that are so inclined.

Problem is, too many managers are young kids that think they are too good to get their hands dirty because they've got a bit of college education.

You'll never eliminate a qualified service technician. The guy who can walk in, evaluate a system, keep a calm head during a major meltdown, solve the problems correctly and efficiently will ALWAYS be in demand and NO manufacturer or customer will ever eliminate that.
    Really? Seriously? If you were in charge of your refrigeration service company, you would like to eliminate gravy calls like replacing an evap motor or clearing a plugged condensate line? The type of calls you could send your least experienced guy to? I really don't think most refrigeration business owners would agree with you.

I don't want to argue. It's a fact that the newer systems are more user friendly and will reduce refrigeration companies' service calls.

Really? Seriously? If you were in charge of your refrigeration service company, you would like to eliminate gravy calls like replacing an evap motor or clearing a plugged condensate line? The type of calls you could send your least experienced guy to? I really don't think most refrigeration business owners would agree with you.

I don't want to argue. It's a fact that the newer systems are more user friendly and will reduce refrigeration companies' service calls.
    We work under a service contract most of the time.

Every call comes out of OUR pocket, NOT the store's.

So, if a manager wants to do my work, I'm more than willing to facilitate that.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Theoretically, it should reduce the number of calls, but if the equipment isn't installed properly, commissioned properly, maintained properly and repaired properly when it breaks, guess what?

I'm going to stay really busy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast