Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 89
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    46

    Post Nice Rack. The Supermarket Refrigeration Thread

    As a guy who makes his living keeping supermarkets cold, I wanted to start a new thread for the other market techs out there to talk about our systems, clients, hopes and dreams.......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nova-Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    271
    Hussman seems to have an icredible relationship with Superstore in Atlantic Canada. An average of five of them pass through any given store in a day and tinker around. I`m used to going to small stores and having them ask what the problem is five minutes through the call.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a Mess
    Posts
    1,008

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Armament View Post
    Hussman seems to have an icredible relationship with Superstore in Atlantic Canada. An average of five of them pass through any given store in a day and tinker around. I`m used to going to small stores and having them ask what the problem is five minutes through the call.
    5 of who are around tinkering?
    HP is in pretty well with that chain out this way i'm pretty sure.
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,671
    Hmmm...

    I think I started a 'Dream System" thread a few years ago.

    Didn't get the results I'd hoped for.


    The future of supermarket refrigeration is going to be exciting.

    With CO2 secondary systems, CO2 cascade systems, the possibility of restrictions on HFC refrigerants due to their global warming impact, energy prices rising and other economic concerns, we are simply NOT going to be able to operate under the old "business as usual" model.

    WE, the techs, are going to have to change with these systems, adapt to them, learn them or we are going to be replaced by smarter, younger and, ultimately, cheaper guys.

    For one, I'm looking forward to new controllers, new (old?) system like CO2 and NH3 making a return.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Hmmm...

    I think I started a 'Dream System" thread a few years ago.

    Didn't get the results I'd hoped for.


    The future of supermarket refrigeration is going to be exciting.

    With CO2 secondary systems, CO2 cascade systems, the possibility of restrictions on HFC refrigerants due to their global warming impact, energy prices rising and other economic concerns, we are simply NOT going to be able to operate under the old "business as usual" model.

    WE, the techs, are going to have to change with these systems, adapt to them, learn them or we are going to be replaced by smarter, younger and, ultimately, cheaper guys.

    For one, I'm looking forward to new controllers, new (old?) system like CO2 and NH3 making a return.
    Cheaper guys? Why do you think that??
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Cheaper guys? Why do you think that??
    Everyone is trying to boost their bottom line in this economy.

    I think that, in my market anyway, customers are going to try to go the "cheaper" route.

    It may or may not work for them.

    Some of the newer systems are very trouble-free which is almost scary.

    Also, I am paid at "X" level. Now, you aren't going to be able to get me to do the same work for less.

    Hire a new guy, though, and you can pay him less as he doesn't know what to expect.



    This is just what I see possibly coming in the future.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-13-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added thoughts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Everyone is trying to boost their bottom line in this economy.

    I think that, in my market anyway, customers are going to try to go the "cheaper" route.

    It may or may not work for them.
    I recently had a client (a large warehouse club) decide to go "the cheaper" route labor wise. Sure the contractor that got the account costs less per hour but they have to send 2 guys out instead of just one like me. Does 2 guys with 1/2 the knowelege equal one? They have also had major outages. I smile everytime I drive by and see 2 or three vans behind the store...

    The moral of my story... cheaper is not always better.. but hey we all know that here.

    Now a question for you other techs:
    How many markets do you service?

    I have 8 accounts with rack systems ranging from early 80's hussman racks to HP's latest.
    Not to mention all the smaller stores.
    I guess im just curious if every other refer guy is as busy as me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    15
    I agree with JP these national chain stores already have us by the balls with full service contracts and even setting our t&m rates, but if you want to stay working on the latest and greatest in controls and racks you need to be doing work for the majior chains. As the price keeps getting cut down the contractors proffit goes down which means cheaper labor. I call them first responders cheaper guys that can show up and man the call until he can either get walked through the call or put a bandaid on the problem until the top notch top paid mechanic can get there. This leads to cheaper guys replacing the true heavy hitters out there. Sorry for venting, I really do love markets I promise

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by R-JAD View Post
    Sorry for venting, I really do love markets I promise
    No worries. I figured this thread would be used for a lot of venting. Its a dynamic indusrty we are in and im sure we have all had what I call "Jim Bobs A/c sercive" come in and think they can play with a rack because they "know a/c"....
    Hey everyone cant be "heavy hitters"..lol... just a few of us

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palmdale ca with my brothers
    Posts
    44
    I work for Hill Phoenix in southern CA and I'm always busy. My main stores are Costco, Ralphs, Trader Joes and some independent markets. I see everything from old Scott polar racks to envirogaurd racks to Kimmel motz racks. But I do love my job!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    in the trenches
    Posts
    5

    Hmm

    I can see by your posts everyone here has a great deal of expericence wit these systems and must admit am a little intimidated to ask as a noobie, but where can I find good solid info on supermarket rack systems and controls- I've worked on small systems, self contained, split, W/I reach-in, restaurant, convenience store, etc., but want to grow into a more substancial part of this industry, any suggestions or advice, a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated..........

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    765
    Don't want anything to do with a grocery store, to many hours. I will keep my six hours a day job thank you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,032
    id love to get into that field but im stuck doing restaurants cold side/hot side and hvac
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.


Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event