Post Likes

HUSSMANN QUESTION

I acquired this Hussmann outdoor unit and found it with no vibration eliminators or springs under the semi-hermetic. Did Hussmann do such a thing or is it a hack special ? Name:  HUSSMANN GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  9.6 KBName:  HUSSMANN 1 GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  9.0 KB

Post Likes
    I want to zoom it but no go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    i seen few of them but most of them already scrapped i think i saw muffler on it

Post Likes
    I've got a customer with 3 of those up on their roof that have been out of service for 10 years. Next time I'm there I'll take a look

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    I've got a customer with 3 of those up on their roof that have been out of service for 10 years. Next time I'm there I'll take a look
    Thanks craig1, I have never seen a semi-hermetic not on springs. The setup looks original from what I can tell. I would guess vibration eliminators would be of little use if the compressor was ridged mounted. Have you ever seen one not on springs ? Also the coiled up discharge line out of the HPC is weird.

Post Likes
    Sometime spring could be break and drop on

Post Likes
    I don't see any one running like that only graveyard

Post Likes
    That's a Hussmann specialty.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I acquired this Hussmann outdoor unit and found it with no vibration eliminators or springs under the semi-hermetic. Did Hussmann do such a thing or is it a hack special ? Name:  HUSSMANN GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  9.6 KBName:  HUSSMANN 1 GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  9.0 KB

Post Likes
    Yes, that is normal. I see those units all the time. No spring mounts. Just bolted 'hard' with the rubber feet.

There are tons of them still out there. One of the major weaknesses are the plastic pipe supports on the discharge line. I carry copper plumbing strap just for those units; so I can re-secure the piping to protect it from vibration damage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yes, that is normal. I see those units all the time. No spring mounts. Just bolted 'hard' with the rubber feet.

There are tons of them still out there. One of the major weaknesses are the plastic pipe supports on the discharge line. I carry copper plumbing strap just for those units; so I can re-secure the piping to protect it from vibration damage.
    Great, that means I can resale it without changing it. I saw those plastic straps you referred to. Also that copper loop is different. Not quite sure on the thinking for that either. I have to wonder why more manufactures are not doing hard mounting to eliminate the costly vibration eliminators. This unit is from '97' and was built to order by Hussmann. Runs a 2 door Hussmann ice cream freezer.

Post Likes
    That copper loop looks stock as well. I'd need a close up of it though to be sure, sort of hard to see in the photo's you posted.

They're fairly decent units. Not much to go wrong. And they use the flooded condenser with an ambient klixon for one of the fans, so you can put them pretty much anywhere you want. The off/on toggle switch always fails on them, I try to keep a couple of those on the truck.

Something I see a couple times a year is when someone changes the starting components, they don't screw the box back down. Then it causes vibration damage on that discharge vibration loop.

Post Likes
    When I opened that larger electrical box I found the original paperwork. Inspection report, warranty paper, wiring diagram as well as a full size blue print. I saw the klixon as well. That cover is heavy and the snaps work great. Hard to find equipment built this well now days.