Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Have any of you used freon stop-leak ?

And is so; what happened when you did?

It sounds both too good to be true, and too scary to use. But a local supply house says they have been selling it for over a year and have had nothing but positive feedback from the customers.

What have you experiences been in regard to using this type of product?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    My supply house says the same thing, but I dont believe it. I wouldnt put anything in a system that aint supposed to be there. I even hate dyes for leak detection.
    “Now the freaks are on television, the freaks are in the movies. And it’s no longer the sideshow, it’s the whole show. The colorful circus and the clowns and the elephants, for all intents and purposes, are gone, and we’re dealing only with the freaks.” - Jonathan Winters

3. Likes VanMan812 liked this post
    Post Likes
    The only things that should be in a refrigerant circuit are refrigerant and oil. And with todays newer systems only refrigerant, no oil. JMH0
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes
    There was a thread concerning Super Seal leak sealer a couple of weeks ago:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ight=leak+seal

I've had one experience related to the product. A restaurant that I serviced had a 5-ton Rheem evaporator with multiple pinhole leaks for which I quoted a replacement coil. The customer then called in another service company who used the sealer on it. The leaks indeed stopped, but a few months later (after he threw them out and called me back in ) I found the C163 filter-drier totally plugged.

I had to recover the refrigerant to replace the drier, so I opted to use my old recovery unit and some old gauges so as not to goop up my good ones.

I wouldn't use the stuff.
    Last edited by icemeister; 10-20-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Post Likes
    My main concern is if it reacts with air/non-condensibles and your trying to stop a leak.....how do you remove all the air/non-condensibles in the system so it won't gum up.

I tried it once and it didn't work....and it screwed up my gauges...The new place where I work we had one can left. When I went through all of my MSDS sheets I didn't have one for the leak seal.....it got tossed...even though it (the MSDS sheets) were easily found when I searched for a few other chemicals to update, I never planned on using it.

Post Likes

I meant: opinions regarding Your use, not just what you project. <g>

I feel the same way - how can some crap like this work?

On the other hand - I said that for many years about things made of plastic and about epoxies. But I have since found that both are wonderful things. <g>

The supply house (a major with maybe nationwide distribution) says they have been selling it for a long while and have had good reports back. So apparently there are at least Some success stories.

I am just looking for empirical data from 'them what's doin' <g>

BTW: I would conder a job where all the refrigerant leaks stopped, and the only followup required was a drier change-out, to be a complete success. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    In looking around the web I found this:

GM Bulletin No.: 03-01-38-001: March, 2003. “GM Service Operations DOES NOT endorse or approve the use of any aftermarket A/C system sealer, A/C stop-leak product or A/C seal conditioning product in any GM vehicle. The use of these aftermarket products may cause damage to A/C systems and to A/C service equipment.

A/C system found to be contaminated with A/C system sealers, A/C stop-leak products, or seal conditioners are not covered by GM New Vehicle Warranty or the GM Replacement part Warranty.”

NAPA Temp: “NAPA Temp’s policy regarding the use of these products (A/C System Sealers) is that we DO NOT endorse its use and will deny all claims made against defective products returned for credit that are found to have been exposed to or suspected of containing said sealers.”

Delphi Product & Service Solutions: “Although pure leak detection dyes are permissible, Delphi does not approve the use of any type of air conditioning system sealants. The use of any sealant immediately voids all warranties of compressors. If it is determined that the compressor has failed due to the presence or evidence of any sealant, appropriate account adjustments will be made. Only Delphi compressors with an orange aftermarket label will be eligible for warranty.”

Visteon: “Visteon Automotive does not endorse or approve the use of any aftermarket A/C refrigerant system sealer. The use of such aftermarket refrigerant sealers show evidence of damaging A/C refrigerant recovery/evacuation/recharging equipment, as well as possible damage to A/C refrigerant system components.

Vehicles found or suspected of having an A/C refrigerant sealer in the system should be serviced as a refrigerant system containing a contaminate. Visteon approved refrigerant system flushing equipment/agents may not remove the refrigerant system sealer from a contaminated system, and replacement of the entire A/C refrigerant system is recommended.

Vehicle A/C refrigerant systems determined to be contaminated with an aftermarket refrigerant sealer may affect A/C refrigerant system components warranty.”

RTI Technologies: “RTI recovery/recycling machines are not designed to recover and recycle refrigerant system sealers. The RTI Technologies Warranty may be considered void if evidence of any refrigerant system sealer is found in any of the internal components of an RTI recovery/recycling machine. The owner of a contaminated machine may be advised the warranty is void and all charges for repair will be his responsibility.”

Mazda: “Do not use any aftermarket A/C refrigerant system sealer in the repair of Mazda vehicles. The use of such aftermarket refrigerant sealers may result in damage to A/C refrigerant recovery/evacuation/recharging equipment and/or A/C system components. A system found with or suspected of having an A/C refrigerant sealer in the system should be serviced as a refrigerant system containing a contaminant. Refrigerant system flushing equipment and agents may not remove the refrigerant system sealer from a contaminated system, and replacement of the entire A/C refrigerant system is recommended. These repairs will not be covered under the manufacturer's basic warranty.”

http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...ealants_p2.php

It's sort of a website based on just the thread title. Even though this is in ref. to car cooling systems.

Post Likes

What happened to your gauges ?

What bad thing did the stop-leak do to them?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes

The LP control takes care of the non-condensibles

The suction pressure never runs below about 5 lb. - so there are no non-condensibles.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What bad thing did the stop-leak do to them?

Right after attaching to the system the needles stuck and wouldn't move. Maybe I did something wrong but I followed the direction including evacuating the lines before adding.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The suction pressure never runs below about 5 lb. - so there are no non-condensibles.

I guess I never thought of the system not being completely empty. I will have to admit the one I added it to was an experiment because I also got high regards from the supply store. I see if it never went below 5 psi then the would be no way for non-condensibles to enter the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    I see if it never went below 5 psi then the would be no way for non-condensibles to enter the system.
    What happens when you have to open the system up for something other then a leak? How about if no one has marked the system to have this inside . I hope it does not get used wide spread and only for something where there is no other pratical choice. I guess it is just one more thing to think about when your there for the first time after someone else
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    What happens when you have to open the system up for something other then a leak? How about if no one has marked the system to have this inside . I hope it does not get used wide spread and only for something where there is no other pratical choice. I guess it is just one more thing to think about when your there for the first time after someone else

Well the experiment in question in my case was for a system that we could not find a leak on and it would work fine once charged and then when next season came up it would be low again. You know thinking back on this system I don't really know what the heck it went through in it's past. Maybe someone can chime in on using it in a system that they knew most of the history on.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast