Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerant oil

R22 Refrigerant

Does R22 have Refrigerant oil in it?

My issue is I had a leak in a 3.5 ton Seer 14 system with a Scroll compressor (Heil HAC442AKA4) and in pumping down the unit I took out about 5 oz of refrigerant oil out. I did not put it back since I was told that the R22 cylinders had oil in them. In checking around I could not confirm this. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to put too much oil in and I don't want to burn the unit up or reduce its efficiency.

Any thoughts?

For those who asked, I have a recovery unit. I did not pump it all the way down since I locked off the valves. And I had a professional look at it after it was installed. Thats where I got the information on the R22. NOW can I get some useable information!

[Edited by happy67 on 06-05-2005 at 12:00 PM]

Cool

ok ok ill be the first one to ask you why did u pumpdown ur unit i want to know why u did it

Call someone that knows what they are doing! If you had a leak in a 14 seer unit chances are it did not have r-22 in it and if that is the case the oil will not be the same and is not misable with the oil in a R-22 system

in pumping down the unit I took out about 5 oz of refrigerant oil out. I did not put it back since I was told that----

How did you "pump down the unit"?
    How do you know you took out 5 oz?
    Who told you r-22 has oil in it?
    and why cant you put back the refrigerant you recovered

you are about to damage an expensive unit-when you do finally call someone out, please post how much money you saved by doing this yourself

Cool

where u get R-22 and what u do with the R-22 u took out call a pro

Originally posted by ct2
    If you had a leak in a 14 seer unit chances are it did not have r-22 in it...
    If it doesn't have R-22, what is in there? I though that all A/C units were charged with R-22.

Unit most likely had 22 or 410. If 410 the oil is
    not compatable with the oil in 22. If they are mixed
    now you are going to have big trouble.

Outside condenser should have a data plate/label
    that says what kind of refigerant is has.

The compressor comes with a premeasured amount of
    oil in it. Refigerant has some oil mixed in it, but
    you will have to replace what oil you took out of
    system. But lets hope you did not put 22 in a 410
    system. Lineset, everything will be contaminated.

And I had a professional look at it after it was installed. Thats where I got the information on the R22.

If you got that information from a professional(r-22 having oil in it) you better find out what kind of professional he is because they dont mix oil and r-22 in containers. it is put in a compressor in a very precise amount

I have a recovery unit. Good! then put the amount you recovered back in.....ah you didnt recover the charge because if you had you wouldnt be asking this question

I did not pump it all the way down since I locked off the valves.

If you have a system with a blend refrigerant you cannot recover a partial charge and you cannot add to a partial charge in a system system and if it is a blend you cannot add R-22 to it

theblueshirtguy quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ct2
    If you had a leak in a 14 seer unit chances are it did not have r-22 in it...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it doesn't have R-22, what is in there? I though that all A/C units were charged with R-22.

nope: and if you try using your r-12/22 gauges or any other equipment that is not rated for higher pressures, you will be in for a big surprise

r-22 is not all they charge ac's with

As far as of I am aware Heil Does not make a R-410A unit. How and why do you know that 5 ounces of oil was removed from your unit? A typical residential unit has a hermetic (sealed) compressor has no way to check the oil level other than to remove all the oil (remove the compressor and place up-side down to drain) then re charge with the proper amount and type of mineral oil (R-410a uses a POE oil) I have never seen this done! Most manufactures allow for a normal amount of oil loss due to leakage in the design. Unless you have some facts to verify oil loss I would not do anything to correct this. If you do I would contact a pro in your area that can assist you.

If you closed the service valves and had 5 ozs. of oil in the lines you left the thing run frozen for a long time.

If the cyclinder had oil in it, how would you know the proper amount of oil was going back in with the r22.

But if you think you took out 5 ozs. of oil and didn't, when you add 5 ozs. of oil it won't hurt anything.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by sayco bob
    As far as of I am aware Heil Does not make a R-410A unit.
    If they don't make them, why do they advertize them.
    Check their web site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If it doesn't have R-22, what is in there? I though that all A/C units were charged with R-22. [/B]
    Oh I can guess that IT could have R-22 or in my neck of the woods there are units still out there with R-500 and R-12 running through their veins.(Al thou not Heils)
    But like what has been noted it could be R-410A. Look at the data tag like has been stated.
    And again HOW do you know you took 5 oz.s out?
    Sounds like you DO need a Professional to help you out. You can be treading on thin ice and screw up the whole system and balance of the A/C's life.

Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

EPA has just reoriented the eye in the sky, oh you know the satelitte that can focus in on a dime and read the date from space, it is swinging over to your location please turn and look up so we can get facial recognition, have you ever been convicted of a felony? Please hold your certification card still so we can record the information do not force us to use the XRay vision option, it costs a lot more to operate and if cranked up to high has been known to cause instantaneous combustion. Resistance is futile.

Thanks to all those who answered me. For clarification this is an R22 unit and I did not contaminate either the refrigerant oil or refrigerant (I gave the model number). I plan to replace the oil. Now I have two questions--

1. Is there any way to put oil in the system wihout drawing a vacuum on it?
    2. Should I put any extra oil in it and how much is to much extra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast