Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    A liquid line solendoid on my Bryant HP compressor is hot to the touch and the system has been off for a couple of days. Does this sound right?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold.calm
    Posts
    6,328
    Are you talking about a LL valve or a reversing Valve? If it has 3 or more refrigeration lines to it than it a reversing valve and the coil is energized.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Serving Northern Va and surounding area
    Posts
    38

    Wink

    try picking up yellow book and call a pro better results

    BEWARE OF THE COMPANIES THAT CHEAT YOU RIGHT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by pecmsg
    Are you talking about a LL valve or a reversing Valve? If it has 3 or more refrigeration lines to it than it a reversing valve and the coil is energized.
    It is a liquid line solenoid outside the compressor unit on the liquid line to prevent refridgerant from running back into the compressor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,683
    Those LLS valves get pretty hot to the touch when energized. Not sure why yours would be hot while de-energized?

    Probably best to have somebody check it out...
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    4,264
    Sounds like it is energized. Could be miswired. A good tech could diagnose that problem quickly.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    698
    If it is the reversing valve solenoid, most thermostats will hold the coil energized as long as COOL is selected, even when not calling to run. Being constantly energized it will get HOT.

    paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by hvac r us 2
    Those LLS valves get pretty hot to the touch when energized. Not sure why yours would be hot while de-energized?

    Probably best to have somebody check it out...
    Thanks for your post. Please help me out here. I assume this thing is on the liquid line to prevent refridgernat from draining back into the compressor. I thought this was only an issue during heating. Is this thing suppose to be energized during cooling or when the system is not running at all? This thing was very hot to the touch when the system was turned off (on/off switch set to off). Just want to make sure I fully understand. My AC guy is suppose to come out on monday.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,683
    Typically LLS valve on a heat pump is used for long line applications (line sets over 50)
    Yes you are correct; it is to reduce liquid refrigerant migration back into the unit during the off cycle.

    Heat pumps require LLS to be installed within 2 of the outdoor unit, arrow pointing towards the outdoor unit.

    LLS valve will be energized in both heating and cooling modes.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by hvac r us 2
    Typically LLS valve on a heat pump is used for long line applications (line sets over 50)
    Yes you are correct; it is to reduce liquid refrigerant migration back into the unit during the off cycle.

    Heat pumps require LLS to be installed within 2 of the outdoor unit, arrow pointing towards the outdoor unit.

    LLS valve will be energized in both heating and cooling modes.
    OK, but should it be energized when the system is turned off? Thanks so much.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    33

    sorry if this sounds stupid

    I just want to know what "LLS valve" means. I know it is a valve, but i dont remember what the LLS stands for. If anyone can help me, I'll be very thankful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,769
    Liquid line selinoid valve.

    r us 2, I'm not familair with the new carrier/bryant hp's, is the valve energized with a signal to y only.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event