Thread: heat pump

would the service vavle leaking stop the heat pump from cooling ? i had a tech come out and he said the that both service vavle are leaking that why the system not cooling and it would cost me about $300 to fixs does that sound right to you ?

Arrow

Disclaimer! I'm not there looking at your unit!

But...usualy if it's the valves you can front seat and then backseat them and that will stop the leak.

If it's the schreader fitting you can usualy take your nifty little schreader tool and tighten them.

Well,you can't,but a real service tech can.

But to answer your question,if the unit is leaking,it won't work.

$300 sounds a little steep to me,but I don't have any idea what all he was quoting.

If your unit is set up like the one I saw recently where the condensor is on the roof and requires a 35ft extension ladder to access it, you would be lucky to get it checked and recharged for less than 500 bucks. All depends on the situation as previous poster said.

In my experience it's extraordinarily common for service valves to leak. Most service valves have caps or some such thing. Whether they're intended to or not those caps can and often do serve as a secondary seal. I've had satisfactory results in sealing the caps and leaving it at that.

I worked with a tech once that was adamant that the only correct fix was to replace or cut out the valves at considerable expense. I understand his point of view but disagree. However, the caveat to sealing by way of the caps is that I don't promise the fix to be permanent. It almost always is. But don't expect me to warranty a leak that technically hasn't been fixed.

i thing is a little bit expensif ,but if you can do the job do it if not .................... pay

Question

but would the leak stop it from blowing cool ? i have no ice on the lines and the lines are sweating or is this tech just blowning smoke up my ass ?

Obviously if the unit is leaking then you are losing freon, loss of freon = No cooling. Of course if the unit is leaking you will not have cooling. Have the tech fix the unit and adjust the charge. Don't know if the price quoted is too high or not, have to know what he is proposing to do.

he said he will fix the leak ,flush the system and refill it for$300 buck

Obviously we don't know enough about the situation to decide if you have smoke in your gastrointestinal track. But in general if the larger copper line that exits the evaporator coil is very cold (forty degree-ish) then low refrigerant is not the most likely problem. If refrigerant was low ice would only form on the smaller copper line as it enters the evaporator coil if it formed at all.

Pricing questions are not allowed by the forum.

to know more about this unit read my other post

[Edited by jblast on 06-04-2005 at 01:21 AM]