Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there is Manual D program, or is it done manually? I'm going to try the Manual J software linked on this site this weekend. I would also like to know what Manual D resources are available.

Thanks very much.

Wright Software

I use Wrightsoft's stuff. It pretty much does all the work for me. I draw the structure with the cad module that's available and as I do so, other background programs are at work figuring the load calc, duct sizes, etc. It's definitely worth checking out.

Regards,
    Jim

You're about worrisome aren't you?

Wait until your house is at least framed and call a reliable company.

You're not getting a good rtesponse because you haven't even broke ground yet and you're asking a thousand questions.

We can smell a customer that we will have to marry a mile away!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Originally posted by Yellow Dot
    We can smell a customer that we will have to marry a mile away!
    Don't knock a bad thing Yellow. We'll get half of everything when the divorce papers are finalized.

(I'm just kidding nathan. I personally like meticulous customers who aren't cheap. My obsession with the details appeals to them. Wrightsoft is good. I do Manual D by hand. It's not hard.)

Yellow, I'm happily married (just ask my wife). Not being a builder I'm not well versed in the order these things should be tackled.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Nathan: I bought the manual D and have been reading, studing and doings calcs for a couple of days now. Very informative. It's expensive, but worth the money to be able to understand whats important when designing a duct system. I will use all my research to help talk intelligently with my HVAC installer when it comes time to spend some money!

My problem here in Central TN is I haven't found one yet in my area that uses one.

Nathan, you are correct to find a contractor early in the process. He can suggest changes that will allow better performance, layout and accessibility.

Running a heat load with the software from this site will give you some feel of what you need, but you need to find a contractor who can and will do the manual J and Manuel D. Duct layout is more than just a program.
    And A heat load is too. Many other factors need to be taken into account on a heat load besides construction. An experienced contractor can guide you through the process.
    Jax

I've decided to have a mechanical engineer perform the Manual J. I've been told he will also work with my HVAC contractor on teh duct layout.

My experience in speaking to 6 recommended local HVAC contractors is that they always use an engineer. I've spoken to 2 architects and they also do not do manual Js. They also use an engineer.

One last question on Manual J. Is a room-by-room load always included in a Manual J, or is this an option?

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The few homes I've seen loaded by an engineer ,were oversized.Ask if they will be doing a Manual J,or some other method.

I think they error on the side of caution,not being in the business and thinking larger is safer.

No offense to engineers,I'm sure many can do it right,just what I've seen.

Can anyone recommend a good primer on zoning? Irascible's material raises interesting points but does not offer an in depth coverage. I am particularly interested in types of equipment that would work best with zoning: dual comrpessor, two stage AC and furnace, single stage AC and furnace, variable versus single speed fan, different types of controls, dampers, etc.

I know that dash has been a consistent fan of the Carrier controls (I think dash is a Carrier dealer). My dealer is fan of Trane zoning (he's a Trane dealer).

Thanks again.

check out California Economizer for zoning, we have used a lot of it with great results. Just do a google for their website, can't remember it off the top of my head.

Dash, you are correct in your assumption that engineers tend to oversize a little.

Being a engineer, I feel this comes from most all of our work is large commercial, with heavy internal loads.

I am working on a new dining facility right now for a university that will blow most peoples mind for the load on this building. (45,000 sq. ft. with 340 tons of chilled water on the AHU's.) Bureau fo Buildings is having a coronary, but the load is what the load is.

Anyway, back on the subject, Most engineers who do not perform many load calculations on residential work will go a little overboard with lighting, and infiltration loads in particular.

If you find someone who has a little experience and will spend the time to verify your construction, you should be happy with the load you get back.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast