Thread: Career Advice

Question

I want to get into the trade, but I am not sure about the best way to do it. I have some experience through working as a maintenance supervisor for a manufacturing company and also for a non-profit, inner-city mission. I was very lucky too have been able to work with a lot of very talented technicians who would teach me while they were fixing our equipment. At the advice of a friend who has his Master HVAC license I obtained my EPA 608 certification as a start. My friend has given me a lot of advice, however he no longer owns his own company and now works for a municipality doing in-house work for them. I have degrees in chemistry and physics, so I understand the technical aspects very well. My problem is I have a family and make decent money as a scientist, but I am not happy doing it. My wife is very supportive of whatever I want to do, even willing to work extra hours, but how long would it take for me to be able to make $18+ an hour in the Cincinnati area. I have done some A/C installs and a lot of troubleshooting and repair of furnaces (under supervision) so I am not clueless, but I am missing a lot of basic fundamental knowledge as far as sizing, etc. Sorry for the book, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you i would either enroll to a community college or trade school so u can learn alot about hvac. im not sure how long it will take u to make $18/hr thats depends on wear u live and how much experience u have. The way i started in the trade was by being a helper during the day and going to school at night, It was tough sometimes but this is what i really wanted to do. If u really love this field do whatever u can to get your foot in the door. good luck to you buddy