Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

21 Pedophiles put on paid leave in Philadelphia today

When asked about today's move, the Cardinal who suspended the 21 priests offered these comments:

“I am truly sorry for the harm done to the victims of sexual abuse, as well as to the members of our community who suffer as a result of this great evil and crime.”

I suppose that should make it all better. Who needs criminal cases when the perverts can simply be suspended with pay?

Full Story

When will Catholics learn from their mistakes? It's no secret that Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers...

maybe the Church needs to become more homophobic and get rid of the homosexual Infiltrators

Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    When asked about today's move, the Cardinal who suspended the 21 priests offered these comments:

“I am truly sorry for the harm done to the victims of sexual abuse, as well as to the members of our community who suffer as a result of this great evil and crime.”

I suppose that should make it all better. Who needs criminal cases when the perverts can simply be suspended with pay?

Full Story

When will Catholics learn from their mistakes? It's no secret that Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers...

Where did it say 21 pedophiles?

In the old America a person was innocent until proven guilty ... I see that's not the way your America works.

There was a guy at work years ago that was arrested for sexual assault, everyone thought he was guilty and it ruined his life. Turned out he and the supposed victim had never met, she got the name wrong and they never showed her a picture of the guy. When she finally saw the guy she told them he was not the one. That guy had to deal with all kinds of crap for years because of someone’s mistake.

Now some or all of them could be guilty, some may not be and their life’s are ruined.

Here’s two old sayings.

A prosecutor can get a ham sandwich indicted.

How do you get your good name back when found not guilty.

For me I prefer to hear the whole story before finding anyone guilty.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

If this is the same story I heard on the radio news, many of the "victims" "remembered" the abuse 20 or 30 years after it happened. Wonder how many of those "remembered" after talking to a lawyer.

It could have happened but just because someone is suspended pending the outcome of charges does not mean guilty to me.

And I'm no fan of the Catholic church or the way they have handled abuse cases in the past.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

I'm sure you guys are right.

These rape victims are probably all just whiners and complainers anyway.

I'm sure you guys are right.

These rape victims are probably all just whiners and complainers anyway.
    Look up fells acres and see what I'm talking about ... it destroyed dozens of peoples life’s only to have the truth come out many many years later. Once a district attorney puts his or her name on a case they will do what-ever it takes to "win" ... it is on to many cases about winning, not justice. If you are that naive to not realize that, then I don't know what it will take to open your eyes ... unless some day you are the innocent accused ... don't worry ... when it comes out on the news we will know you are guilty.

Again I do not know what did or didn't happen, I do know that suppressed memories have been shown to be wrong on way to many occasions to in my mind be blindly believed.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Adds a whole new perception to "...thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me..." don't it?

Why not just admit that the RCC is a spawn of Satan that is used to protect perverts while giving them access to plenty of victims? Just a thought
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Look up fells acres and see what I'm talking about ... it destroyed dozens of peoples life’s only to have the truth come out many many years later. Once a district attorney puts his or her name on a case they will do what-ever it takes to "win" ... it is on to many cases about winning, not justice. If you are that naive to not realize that, then I don't know what it will take to open your eyes ... unless some day you are the innocent accused ... don't worry ... when it comes out on the news we will know you are guilty.

Again I do not know what did or didn't happen, I do know that suppressed memories have been shown to be wrong on way to many occasions to in my mind be blindly believed.
    Do you even see where your pro-rapist bias is showing through?

I chose to believe everyone in the story right off the bat. Sure I might be wrong, but since the Catholic church, the grand jury and all of the rape victims agree that these people are pedophiles, I've chosen to take that at face value until such time as it's proven otherwise.

You, on the other hand, choose a side that no one in the article has taken. Immediately you say that these allegations are ancient history and that these were somehow "repressed" or "suppressed" memories that were teased out by quacks. This is not mentioned in the articles [although others have suggested that talk radio hosts said as much, if that's even the same story].

Only the defense lawyer for the rapists, charged with inventing BS possibilities that didn't happen in order to hang the jury needs to make up things to back up their side of the story. Well, that and shock-jocks I suppose.

We're going to have to disagree on this point I suppose. In my opinion, pro-rapist views are hard to get behind.
    Last edited by BACnet; 03-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Do you even see where your pro-rapist bias is showing through?

I chose to believe everyone in the story right off the bat. Sure I might be wrong, but since the Catholic church, the grand jury and all of the rape victims agree that these people are pedophiles, I've chosen to take that at face value until such time as it's proven otherwise.

You, on the other hand, choose a side that no one in the article has taken. Immediately you say that these allegations are ancient history and that these were somehow "repressed" or "suppressed" memories that were teased out by quacks. This is not mentioned in the articles [although others have suggested that talk radio hosts said as much, if that's even the same story].

Only the defense lawyer for the rapists, charged with inventing BS possibilities that didn't happen in order to hang the jury needs to make up things to back up their side of the story. Well, that and shock-jocks I suppose.

We're going to have to disagree on this point I suppose. In my opinion, pro-rapist views are hard to get behind.

There you go, so you cant make a rational explanation of your thinking so you accuse me of helping rapist. Well done, so I'll ask ... what about the guy I used to work with, according to you he is a rapist, as you state he was accused so that's it.

I'm curious, did you look up the fells acre story?
    When I get back and have more time I'll post a link.

Oh, and there should never be a disagreement on people getting a fair trial, but yet there is as you stated they are all guilty.

Oh, and there should never be a disagreement on people getting a fair trial, but yet there is as you stated they are all guilty.
    You do realize I'm not on the jury, right? And you do realize that the "presumed innocent" stuff applies only to those involved in legal proceedings, the rest of us are allowed (hopefully encouraged) to form our own opinions in this country.

I stand by my comments 100%. The head of the Catholic church in Philly says they're guilty. The grand juries say they're guilty (they fingered 30 some odd people, these 21 are just the ones with undeniably "credible" evidence against them). The outside investigator hired by the church says they're guilty. The rape victims say they're guilty.

Yet one shock-jock was quoted in this thread as stating that there was once a person who cried rape when it wasn't (and that wasn't properly linked to this particular story) and you immediately come up with ways that everyone involved is somehow wrong.

Did you ever notice that police organizations investigating a murder have to refer to the murderer as a "suspect," yet when the news interviews people who saw the murder being committed (or any other citizen for that matter), those people are allowed to call the murderer a murderer, not a suspect? That's because they are not part of the legal proceedings that are taking place. Surely this point makes sense to even the most liberal of folks.

I am entitled to believe that everyone in this article is telling the truth. You are entitled to believe that everyone in the article is lying. We don't have to agree, but we do have to tolerate one another.

And who except you stated that they won't get a fair trial?

I think you need a nap.

There you go, so you cant make a rational explanation of your thinking so you accuse me of helping rapist. Well done, so I'll ask ... what about the guy I used to work with, according to you he is a rapist, as you state he was accused so that's it.

I'm curious, did you look up the fells acre story?
    When I get back and have more time I'll post a link.

If one out of ten persons who is not guilty of a crime is persecuted by the criminal system, does that justify not pursueing punishment against the other 9 criminals? Yes, bad things do happen to good people in the world of justice. Yes, it is a shame that these things happen. What is the alternative?

As for the Fells Acres trial, I don't see where any absolutes were ever determined one way or another. During that time period, all day cares around the country were being heavily scrutinized. A day care near me was caught up in that scandal, charged with child abuse issues and cleared of all charges. Other then a brief interruption of business, the day care center suffered no long term affects and the entire day care system was made safer across the country.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    If one out of ten persons who is not guilty of a crime is persecuted by the criminal system, does that justify not pursueing punishment against the other 9 criminals? Yes, bad things do happen to good people in the world of justice. Yes, it is a shame that these things happen. What is the alternative?

As for the Fells Acres trial, I don't see where any absolutes were ever determined one way or another. During that time period, all day cares around the country were being heavily scrutinized. A day care near me was caught up in that scandal, charged with child abuse issues and cleared of all charges. Other then a brief interruption of business, the day care center suffered no long term affects and the entire day care system was made safer across the country.
    Youths' 'Tainted' Testimony Is Barred in Day Care Retrial
    By CAREY GOLDBERG
    Published: June 13, 1998Sign In to E-Mail

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., June 12 — Handing a major victory to the defense in one of the country's longest-running day-care sexual abuse cases, a Massachusetts judge ruled today that the children in the case had been so manipulated in interviews with investigators that their testimony was ''forever tainted.''

Declaring that ''justice was not done,'' Judge Isaac Borenstein of Superior Court today affirmed a ruling that a new trial be granted to Cheryl Amirault LeFave, one of three family members convicted more than 10 years ago in the highly publicized Fells Acres Daycare Center case.But the aspect of Judge Borenstein's decision that may have the broadest implications for other cases around the country, prosecutors said, was his ruling that in Ms. LeFave's new trial, the children, whose evidence made the prosecution's case, could not testify.

''It's concerning because not only did he determine that the interviews in the case were improper, he determined that the children could not testify,'' said Lynn Rooney, chief of the Family Protection Unit in the Middlesex County District Attorney's office.

''He's in effect found her not guilty, because without the children, we don't have a case that we can prosecute,'' Ms. Rooney said.

Ms. LaFave and her mother, Violet Amirault, were convicted in 1987 and sentenced to 8 to 20 years in prison. But they were released in 1995 when another judge ordered a new trial, finding that the court's seating arrangement had kept them from confronting their accusers.

Today Judge Borenstein dismissed all charges against Ms. Amirault -- posthumously. She died of cancer last September at 74 while free awaiting a new trial.The prosecution will appeal the ruling to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Ms. Rooney said, and if the appeal fails, will consult with the families involved about whether they could endure another trial.

The Supreme Judicial Court, the state's highest court, ruled against such a new trial for the Amiraults in the past, apparently seeking to close the 14-year-old case.

Fells Acres is one of the last cases pending among the wave of major day-care sexual-abuse trials in the 1980's -- including those involving the McMartin preschool in California, the Little Rascals Day Care Center in Edenton, N.C., and the Wee Care Day Nursery in Maplewood, N.J.

Several of the convictions in those cases have been overturned as questions have mounted over whether interviewers had prodded suggestible children into fabricating stories of abuse. But advocates who work on behalf of defendants said that today's ruling might help the scores of people falsely accused of child sexual abuse in day-care or custody cases who remain in jail.James L. Sultan, Ms. LeFave's lawyer, said that when the Amirault case was tried, ''it was really the dark ages of child sex abuse investigations, and people didn't know how to question children properly.''

''And at the time,'' he said, ''the prevailing wisdom was that you really had to push and prod, and 'Don't take no for an answer' was the mantra of the investigator at the time.''

Since then, he argued successfully in the court this year, more than a decade of research has shown that children are so suggestible that they tend to give questioners answers that seem to be wanted, and then believe what they said. The 1993 exoneration of Margaret Kelly Michaels in the Wee Care case also hinged on flawed interviews, he noted.

Judge Borenstein had viewed videotapes of the children's interrogations, and today read aloud excerpts of transcripts in his ruling to show how the questioners pushed children to give certain answers.

Afterward, he said, ''On and on and on, refusing to take 'no' for an answer, and it's only one example of the overwhelming evidence in this case of how investigators, however well-intentioned, just would not take no, and overwhelmed these kids.''
    Mr. Sultan said the ruling held particular promise for the third defendant in the Amirault case, Ms. LeFave's brother Gerald Amirault, who is in prison serving a sentence of 30 to 40 years after being convicted in 1986 on the same evidence.

Mr. Amirault, who was an aide and driver at the Malden, Mass., day-care center that his mother ran for more than 20 years, was accused of taking the center's children, who were 3 to 5 years old, into a ''magic'' or ''secret'' room to molest them.

Children told investigators that they had been tied naked to a tree, attacked by a clown, raped with objects and forced to watch the Amiraults kill birds.Though the news was good for Ms. LeFave today, she cried in court ''because her mom wasn't there to hear this vindication,'' Mr. Sultan said.

Later, Ms. LeFave told reporters that the judge, ''validated everything that my family has been fighting for.''''There was never any abuse in Fells Acres,'' she said. ''And, my God, my mother, God rest her soul, her business was taken from her. My mother created a community in Malden that was ---- impeccable. And I'm here to raise her name.''

What is not mentioned here is that the first child to say something had been molested by an uncle or cousin pryer to the fells acres story.

Also that many of the parents sued and recieved large settlements ... settlements for something that never happened.

That's one of the things that bothers me the most, how do you disprove something that never happened. Especially thirty or more years later. And for the meatheads out there, that does not mean something did not happen either.

I'm sure that many inocent people went to jail, do you really think that one inocent person out of ten going to jail is OK.?

Other then a brief interruption of business
    Really, a brief interruption ... sure hope I am never briefly interrupted.

I understand that mistakes will unfortunatly happen. the thing is that they will happen more often when people have their minds made up without seeing all the facts. Someone here said they were not on that jury, well someday they may be and their prejudice may send an inocent person to jail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast