Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I think I'd be leary of a rookie being so defensive over someone saying that a tech with more experience may be better than him.

Relax a little buddy. There is always going to be someone better, smarter, and faster than you and I, and everyone else on this board. It IS a fact that most companies will send the good techs to the trouble and/or commercial service calls, while the rookies do the PM's. It just makes business sense. I was that rookie at one time, as was everyone else. We got the crap jobs. We had to earn our stripes.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Lots of opinions ,on how often PM's should be done,and that's all,just opions.

Mine is once a year.

Originally posted by Irascible
    Why not just live on the wild side and go without the warranty? Skip every other year of precious contract maintenance and in three years you'll have saved enough to have a brand new blower motor installed.
    I did skip the year after the install re a PM (of course I replaced the filter) but the next time I had a PM the flue collector box had cracked at the drain connection...so a new collector box was required .

Mr.hvac41 all I can tell you is if the truth hurts wear it, and if not don't worry about it.

You know a 15.5 year old kid gets a learners permit to drive a car. They must be accompanied by a more experienced driver. They cannot drive alone. What a great learning environment this creates!

We should have the same thing with hvac techs. But the truth is we don't because its not cost effective. Its not cost effective because we can't charge enough. We can't charge enough because of too much illegal activity. THAT IS WHY I AM SO AGAINT PM'S.

"And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

----------------

WHAT IS YOUR ISSUE?! I AM A NEW TECH OF 7 MONTHS. I AM PRETTY DARN GOOD FROM WHAT MY 4 OTHER FELLOW TECHS SAY! I RODE WITH THEM TO CALLS FOR 5 MONTHS. I WON FIRST IN THE STATE OF OHIO HEATING AND AIR COMPETITION THROUGH THE MIAMI VALLEY CAREER TECH CENTER FROM WHICH I JUST GRADUATED! NOW, ALL OF US IN THE COMPANY DO ESA'S (PM) NOT JUST ME. I HAVE CUSTOMERS THAT ASK FOR ME. I THINK THAT THIS SAYS THAT THE YOUNGER GUYS (AND GIRLS AS THE CASE WOULD APPLY) ARE JUST AS DARN GOOD AS THE OLDER ONES!!! ESA'S HELP THE HOMEOWNERS INVESTMENT TO RUN CLEANER AND LONGER. PROBLEMS SUCH AS REFRIGERANT DEFFICIENCIES AND CRACKED FURNACE HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE FOUND. I SAVE MY CUSTOMERS $$$ IN THE LONG RUN AND GIVE THEM PIECE OF MIND. I LOVE MY JOB!! DONT DISS NEW TECHS! YOU WERE ONE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

wow you made your point quite well.
    now settle down because as much as you dont like it the new guys do the pms till they prove themselves. this it how it is and how it has always been deal with it. as was said before no matter how good or great you think you may be there is someone better. as you go through many years in this trade as a lot of us have there is one thing you will find. you have to pay your dues and take your punches
    one more thing after thirty two years and a lot of getting my but kicked i am still new to this trade and learning everyday. so take the skirt off and grow a nut. take it like a man is what i was told thirty years ago when i thought i was the best thing next to god oin this trade
    and an old timer showed me up like i wasnt even there
    dam i learned a lot from him

Re: Maybe where you are. But NOT here.

Originally posted by aircooled53
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Waxers problem is typical of most. He called a company without requesting a person. Companies don't service equipment, people do.

Don't you service agreement buyers understand that these companies are sending their top techs on commercial jobs and trouble calls while leaving the rookies to do the grunt pm work. Now think about it. How beneficial can that really be to the consumer?
    That's not always true , I do alot of P.M.'s and teach the new technicians the right way to completly check out the system.They fill out the
    Model# Serial#
    Pressures/amps
    Condenser coil/clean/condition
    condenser inlet/outlet /temps
    superheat/sub-cooling
    condensate area/main/secondary
    blower voltage/amps/wheel alignment
    Evaporator/condition/T.D.
    Filter size/#
    Ductwork/condition

Oh, just a follow up note the average savings of a clean well maintained unit is 13.6kw hr. of electricity per day.
    With then average in Texas summer from April/September this comes to about 256.45 per season. Does every customer save that much,no but they do have a safe,clean well maintained system that will increase the life 5-7 years longer than one that is NOT maintained.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: Re: Maybe where you are. But NOT here.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Waxers problem is typical of most. He called a company without requesting a person. Companies don't service equipment, people do.

Don't you service agreement buyers understand that these companies are sending their top techs on commercial jobs and trouble calls while leaving the rookies to do the grunt pm work. Now think about it. How beneficial can that really be to the consumer?
    That's not always true , I do alot of P.M.'s and teach the new technicians the right way to completly check out the system.They fill out the
    Model# Serial#
    Pressures/amps
    Condenser coil/clean/condition
    condenser inlet/outlet /temps
    superheat/sub-cooling
    condensate area/main/secondary
    blower voltage/amps/wheel alignment
    Evaporator/condition/T.D.
    Filter size/#
    Ductwork/condition

Oh, just a follow up note the average savings of a clean well maintained unit is 13.6kw hr. of electricity per day.
    With then average in Texas summer from April/September this comes to about 256.45 per season. Does every customer save that much,no but they do have a safe,clean well maintained system that will increase the life 5-7 years longer than one that is NOT maintained.
    What's the source ,of info., for the savings??

Indeed. What's the source?

And did they test to see check differences between every year, every other year and every third year? Of course not. They and most propagandists engage in the logical fallacy of all or nothing. Comparing those who virtually never do maintenance to those that do it yearly produced an inevitable outcome. They saved energy? Shazam! Who'd a thunk it? But compare those that do it yearly to those that do it every second or third and you'd get a different story that would fly in the face of the hustlers.

Originally posted by Waxer
    I did skip the year after the install re a PM (of course I replaced the filter) but the next time I had a PM the flue collector box had cracked at the drain connection...so a new collector box was required .
    You're assuming that a PM would have prevented that. That's a very bad assumption.

Originally posted by Irascible
    Originally posted by Waxer
    You're assuming that a PM would have prevented that. That's a very bad assumption.
    No I dont think that..I dont think I do anyways. But I mention it because this incident was the impetus to get the ext warranty.

Carriers Recommendation

AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Most excellent. I never would have expected to see such an admission from an OEM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234