Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry

I have been on a service agreement with an HVAC company for 2 or 3 years. Payment in advance gets me an ext. warranty for a Lennox G32V and two 'tuneups' each year...one for the furnace one for an AC. For the 3 or 4 times they have come I have been impressed with the check they do on each unit. Today however, before I almost knew it, he had left after vacuuming inside the furnace and in the combustion chamber and had replaced the hi eff media filter. That is he never went outside to the ac unit. This is so unlike other detailed tuneup appts I have had with this company in the past. I even checked the furnace filter and I am sure he installed it the wrong way down....ie he didnt take note of the airflow. (Just to make sure I not imagining things but the airflow is likely down, towards the base of the furnace?...I even held a piece of paper and it was pushed down towards the ground as I thought)

I guess I will call the company. Of course I dont want this particular tech to return. He wont be happy. It shouldnt have to come to this Any suggestions on how I should approach the call to the service manager to have it be most constructive?

Did he give you a copy of some paperwork? Like a checklist?

Did he fill out the outside/condensor part of that checklist?

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Just call them and let them know how todays service ,wasn't the same as the past,I'm sure they will be happy to redo the work.Maybe just a "bad day" or a new guy,might want to let them know how long or short time he was there.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by miami mike

There is a list indicating what a tuneup includes but none is checked off. I didnt feel comfortable asking at the end of the visit when *he* had decided he was done to ask him specifically if he did this and that etc. I tried to be subtle...ie "do you think the outside unit needs to be washed down?" He then asked if it was near a dryer vent. I said no and he then said no ;(.

In the time it took to post the question here, you could have called the company and had them send another tech out to complete the call

Originally posted by Waxer
    Originally posted by miami mike

There is a list indicating what a tuneup includes but none is checked off. I didnt feel comfortable asking at the end of the visit when *he* had decided he was done to ask him specifically if he did this and that etc. I tried to be subtle...ie "do you think the outside unit needs to be washed down?" He then asked if it was near a dryer vent. I said no and he then said no ;(.
    Thats kind of odd. Most companies have a sheet that asks for certain things to be recorded (pressure,superheat, drain line cleaned...etc) and then that sheet is signed and a copy is left with the customer.

Call the company and explain what happened and ask for a different tech to come and complete the maintenance. The management will probably thank you because the only way they can find out techs are taking short cuts are if you the customer tells them.

~Albert Camus

Originally posted by ct2
    In the time it took to post the question here, you could have called the company and had them send another tech out to complete the call
    Yikes. Just asking for some opinions. I had called in the mean time and the service manager was out.

Heck these techs may be making so much cash that they are hiring some bums off the street corner (illegals) to make their rounds for them while they hang out at the local pub? Better get a call in to the company next time one pulls up at your crib, to make sure he is not a imposter and casing the joint or something.

Originally posted by dnt
    Heck these techs may be making so much cash that they are hiring some bums off the street corner (illegals) to make their rounds for them while they hang out at the local pub? Better get a call in to the company next time one pulls up at your crib, to make sure he is not a imposter and casing the joint or something.
    You cant be serious.

~Albert Camus

Waxers problem is typical of most. He called a company without requesting a person. Companies don't service equipment, people do.

Don't you service agreement buyers understand that these companies are sending their top techs on commercial jobs and trouble calls while leaving the rookies to do the grunt pm work. Now think about it. How beneficial can that really be to the consumer?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Wink Maybe where you are. But NOT here.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Waxers problem is typical of most. He called a company without requesting a person. Companies don't service equipment, people do.

Don't you service agreement buyers understand that these companies are sending their top techs on commercial jobs and trouble calls while leaving the rookies to do the grunt pm work. Now think about it. How beneficial can that really be to the consumer?
    That's not always true , I do alot of P.M.'s and teach the new technicians the right way to completly check out the system.They fill out the
    Model# Serial#
    Pressures/amps
    Condenser coil/clean/condition
    condenser inlet/outlet /temps
    superheat/sub-cooling
    condensate area/main/secondary
    blower voltage/amps/wheel alignment
    Evaporator/condition/T.D.
    Filter size/#
    Ductwork/condition

"Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

You want to know what the real irony is Waxer? Though that tech likely didn't do his job right, he most likely cost you nothing. Yearly residential PMs are mostly dog and pony shows put on to appeal to the homeowner's emotional well being. Homeowner's feel better after a maintenance. Does the equipment run better? On year after year maintenances (as opposed to doing them every two or three years), NO.

The real purpose of PMs? To make the contractor money. ALL of the top business trainers in our trade push maintenance dogmatically. Why? There's a direct correlation between how many maintenance contracts a contractor has to how much money he makes. One of the gurus says that to do a million in business you need 1000 maintenance contracts. Why the contract? Because maintenance contract customers buy new equipment more, buy bogus ancillary services more and shop around less. In essence you are "locked in" to that contractor.

I have no problem with making lots of dough. But I won't do it on false premises. Do you really think they improve system performance year after year Waxer? It's not likely. I've done thousands of PMs, many of which were for the year after year types. The very first maintenance usually bears some fruit because the homeowner has usually neglected the equipment. The second year may be OK because since I fixed everything up the first year I'll desperately hunt around for something unusual to correct. Sometimes I find it. By the third year? I take the cover off and it doesn’t look any worse than the year before. It's useless tedium. I don't condone that tech's actions. But I understand them. There are a lot of us who hate dog and pony shows.

Yes there are exceptions. I can't speak to oil burners here in natural gas land. I suspect they need more attention than our stuff. But other than that and a few other exceptions year after year maintenance (as opposed to every two or three years) usually produces peace of mind for the homeowner and not much else. Peace of mind is a good thing! But just tell a customer that peace of mind is the extent of it and watch how many people cancel their year after year contracts.

Think I'm wrong? PROVE IT. Where's the study showing that dogmatic yearly (as opposed to every second or third year) maintenance produces real benefit? It doesn't exist. I've seen vague references to some ancient study that was both narrow in scope and specific to a certain region. But you can't find the actual study online. Even the contractor’s own numbers prove it. Find a contractor who fills out those forms; pull a couple thousand of them on year after year customers; analyze the readings and look for improvements; then you’ll have your proof. But it will NEVER happen. The futility of dogmatic maintenance is a dirty little secret that no one with the money to fund a study would want exposed.

Frown

Irascible:

Thanks a freaking lot! Now that you've let out our secret, we have to kill everyone who reads this post. It's gonna get messy...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast