Hybrid View

Hello, I had several companies come and give me an quote for replacing my evaporator coil (wasn't replaced when the condensing unit was replaced - now we have a continuous freon leak). The company I am probably going with also suggested we replace the furnace at the same time. The furnace in place is about 13 years old. Also it has had a lot of water leaked on it from a frozen pipe above it (that wasn't insulated properly).

He said we could replace it with a variable speed trane unit - xv80. He said it would save us money in the winter, but also help the air conditioner work better - that our 4 ton 10 seer would work more like an 11 seer. Okay, so I know nothing here, how does the furnace make a straight a/c work better??

We are probably going to be in this house at least 5 more years. Does it make sense to invest a couple grand into a furnace or should the existing furnace be sufficient? Will a new furnace really save us that much in heating costs?

We are leaning toward going for it, but I wanted to get some objective expert opinions prior to committing. Thanks!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The new furnace with a variable sppeed fan,will insure that the furnace and A/c get the correct cfms thru the heat exchanger and cooling coil,whiich will deliver full capacity,the your old likely doesn't.

Plus the VS fan,may use lees wattage to operate,depending on your duct system.

An uninsulated suction line can drip a decent amount of water. On rare occasion the damage can be significant if the water makes it to the circuit board or some other electrical component. But in most cases there is little to no damage other than the superficial.

Dash covered the VS + AC issue well.

Save you money in the winter? Sure. You could buy at least one extra Happy Meal per month. Maybe two if you're lucky! The odds of a new furnace saving you significant money on heating costs are low to none. But it's not hard to figure out. Find out the real AFUE rating of your old furnace (not some guess). Take the improvement of the new furnace and subtract that from peak winter usage and you've got your answer. If your summer gas bill is $50 and the winter gas bill averages $150 for 5 months then you're spending $500 on gas for winter heating. If the old AFUE was 78 and the new AFUE is 82 then you'll save around 5% or $25. Throw in the electrical savings of the VS blower and we'll charitably call it $50 per year.

Enjoy your ten Happy Meals.