+ Reply to Thread

Thread: meters, meters, meters

Post Likes

Exclamation

everyones always talking about meters so here is the ones i carry, and i'd be real interested in seeing what you guys take around with you

Post Likes
    They all look new. Hmmm...makes me feel like I'm abusing mine.

Post Likes
    lol...my friends call me crazy but every other weekend i take all my tools off truck, clean and blow them out with air compressor...my drill comes apart once a month and is thorougly cleaned...little effort keeps them in great shape...i may go over board with it but with the personal investment we as technicians have in our tools, not to mention they are what puts food on the table, i feel the effort is worthwhile

Post Likes
    Damn, how many do you need?

I have fieldpiece, my service tech has fluke. His looks like its been drop kicked and thrown against a brick wall a hundred times

Post Likes
    Well what do I know but from the looks of things they look like they may all do about the same things......maybe a small differance,then again what do i know I cant really tell just from picture but I dont think I would carry more then 3- that would do the same thing. For me 1 backup and an old analog 110 in case 2 go bad. If someone broke in your truck they would have everything. Now as far as monoxor 2 , magnahelics, air meters, cap testers, Annies, leak detectors, combustable gas detectors, module testers and others It just feaks me out thinking of someone breaking in my truck and loosing all that stuff. Its all locked in utility boxes but nothing is that safe if someone wants it bad enough.

Post Likes
    HOLY COW!! How many arms you got, boy?!

Originally posted by serviceguy
    lol...my friends call me crazy but every other weekend i take all my tools off truck, clean and blow them out with air compressor...my drill comes apart once a month and is thorougly cleaned...little effort keeps them in great shape...i may go over board with it but with the personal investment we as technicians have in our tools, not to mention they are what puts food on the table, i feel the effort is worthwhile
    Not just your friends

I carry a pocket card sized, my pouch owns a TCI clamp-on ++ and my spare is an old Amprobe RS3...I also have an old UI in my truck but mostly used for temp/humid.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by infwsdm
    Damn, how many do you need?

I've got a couple more than that but they aren't that shiny.

I am too tired to buff things up on the weekend.

I have had everything stolen once. You just start over.
    But you still have to have tools to work with . I would rather have good tools that scrimp by and think I am spiting the thieves by working with cheap junk.

Post Likes
    Nice selection of meters service guy!
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Post Likes
    Do you collect meters?

Post Likes
    Hey dont knock him,I'll bet he has a battery when he needs it.

I used to be alot like that..but now that the thrill is gone I hate to even have to dig them out,let alone clean them.

Most of us guys has two meter anyway,thats because when working on a rooftop and they turn black we go buy another and then we realize the black fades.LOL.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gruntly
    HOLY COW!! How many arms you got, boy?!

Originally posted by serviceguy
    Not just your friends

I carry a pocket card sized, my pouch owns a TCI clamp-on ++ and my spare is an old Amprobe RS3...I also have an old UI in my truck but mostly used for temp/humid.
    DId your UEI ampmeter break at the clamp pivot point too ?

Nice meters . I have the bigger of the two Fluke ampmeter.

Post Likes
    You should change your name to "super" serviceguy.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    You got enough meters there??
    Nice bunchg of flukes, did ya name them yet?
    Everyone knows my opionion of UEI............
    I think your friends are right, you are crazy......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    lol...yes i do collect them. The only ones that stay on the truck with me is my fluke 336 clamp-on for normal use, the fluke 322 clamp-on is for under houses or on rainy days, and the fluke 16 for everything else. I bought the fieldpiece hs-35 from listening to the high remarks on this forum but was very unpleased with it, so I used it twice and put it with my home collection. I started out working in electrical before i began in hvac, so henceforth i have my collection. I just recently aquired the fluke 36 clamp-on just to add to my collection. I actually also have a fluke 77 and fluke 73 that I didn't have in the picture. And I do not own nor will I ever own a UEI.

Post Likes
    I probably have twice as many meters as Serviceguy. But I don't have more "quality" meters than he does. I've got way too many UEI, Craftsman, Amprobe, etc. pieces of crap. Lately, everything I buy says FLUKE on it. My time has become more important than saving a few bucks and constantly having to tinker with some junk or wonder if it's giving me the right reading.

Yesterday the 8 month old "Craftsman Pro" (oxymoron) meter died and I went straight to the supply house and plopped down $260 for a Fluke. Yes I cried, but the tears will be dry when I'm still using it many years from now. It's also nice to know that it's more than +/- 4% accurate.

Post Likes
    no self respecting "service guy" would have meters as new looking as those.........Isn't that the counter of the supply house?

Post Likes
    I love tools and I tret mine well.... but you far exceed what I do for weekend recreation!

Post Likes
    lol...what do u guys do to ur meters? ok i'll take the critisim but i thought mine was bad from some of the paint being rubbed off the buttons...like i said before i do take extremely god care of my equipment and everything remains in their cases...my 87 is about 4 years old and been through alot but still in great shape because of the way i keep them up...and no thats one of hose tupperware storage bin lids from wal-mart, not a counter...lol the wifey thought they'd show up better on that...i have insurance on all my tools on the truck and had to get photos and #'s off them to give ins. company...

Post Likes
    sometimes we cant help ourselves I mean before I got my fluke 83 I couldn't do duty cycle on the engair djm control panel speed drive sensor so I was missing a diagnosis sometimes.

I agree about the photos and vids and serial nums for the ins co you cant be to carefull these days

what I'm getting at is that having the best tools enables us to be better techinicans and have an easier time diagnosing problemss correctly
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in